1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Dad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Porter, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

This is a true story from many Christmases past---

Dad's been gone for 30+ years and is still as real as ever, I guess that's because he was the best dad and friend that ever lived. He was a man's man and could make anything work EXCEPT he and mom, also a very smart lady, could never make a camera work--even a Brownie Hawkeye!! One Christmas mom took the camera from the closet where it had been since Easter and asked me and dad to go to the drug store and get some film and flash bulbs. Now you have to have a few years behind you to remember the bulbs as big as your fist and covered with plastic that would get hot enough to blister when they were used. Dad took the batteries and a bulb and put them in his pants pocket, polyester as was the norm of the day, and off we went. Dad DID NOT SAY BAD WORDS but when he turned to get out of the car, I heard an audible click and he shouthed G+* D#$%, S%^& that hurt DA##$% and then he danced a jig into the store. The keys, battery, and flash bulb in his pocket got together just right and set the bulb off. It was hot enough that it melted a spot about the size of a half dollar on the outside of his pants. Now we were close but you can bet I did not laugh--then. Dad was buried many years later with a scar on his right outside thigh from the bulb. I hope all of you have or will make memories like this this Christmas! Boy I miss him!!!

2. TC

TC TS Member

Good story, thanks for sharing.

3. lacy

lacy TS Member

Great story, Jim.

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

That is a funny story. I have heard of one similar and that was when my aunt had put a bulb that was the last in the package in her purse and something caused it to go off and it caught her purse on fire. The whole family was grateful for that one as that purse had an odor of it's own because of all the spilled perfumes in it. :) Dan

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I like that story...I can remember as a kid getting up before mom and dad and putting my finger in a open hole were a light should have been on the tree.

It knocked me on my rear end....mom heard it the noise and figured out what happened. I spent the next 6 hours at the hospital with a moniter on my chest.

They have a picture of it at home.....I think they could have killed me for that event. Wow that was 45 years ago I can still remember that morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.