1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remember "Wide World Of Sports" American Sportsman

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-GUNS, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS TS Member

How many of you remember Kurt Gowdy, wide world of sports and american sportsman ?? My memories are starting to fade. Can you enlighten me ??

crab
  2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Remember

Here's a start.

LA in MA
  3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Remember

Loved that show. Remember Grits Gresham?
  4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Remember

Used to love watching the agony of defeat..... The ski jump guy bouncing around like Gumby.

Jerbear
  5. Damifino

Damifino Member

Remember

Jer wrote <i>"Used to love watching the agony of defeat..... The ski jump guy bouncing around like Gumby."</i>

I saw a segment on that guy a few years ago. It was like a "Where are they now" thing. Turns out the guy is a Pole and now drives a forklift in a warehouse in Poland somewhere. We watched the guy every Saturday on National TV and the guys he worked with barely knew his name. Life is strange.
  6. JRW

JRW Member

Remember

I was in front of the TV, and god help the person that interupted me whie they were on. Jerry in MI.
  7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Remember

I remember watching ny first drag race on WWOS with I think, Keith Jackson on the mic......
  8. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Remember

I started watching that show on Sunday afternoon's when I was just a kid. Had never hunted or been around guns much, but after watching their hunting episodes...I knew that was something I had to do. Due to a fantastic uncle taking me under his wing, I grew up with a love of guns and hunting.

The best episodes were with Curt Gowdy hunting with Phil Harris. Whomever produced that show was able to capture the "spirit" of hunting like no other show has since. Was filmed in high quality, high speed film and didnt have the "cheap" feel of the outdoor shows that are on today that focus way to much on the kill where American Sportsman focused on the comraderie of the hunt.

I have been looking to purchase the series on DVD, but unfortunately I have learned from others on the web that the producers failed to get signed releases from the weekly guests that were on the show. Have been told too many legal hassles to put the show on DVD because of that. If anyone knows otherwise or has heard where to buy them at, please let me know.
  9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Remember

The bird hunting shows on The American Sportsmen were far better than most any today! Any of you guys see Red Foxx hunting ringneck pheasants in eastern PA? That was a great show! In the east, it came on at 4pm and we always left the shooting range in time to make it home to see it, it was important not to miss one of those shows!

Hap
  10. jwells

jwells Member

Remember

my all time favorite show. first some fishing then small game hunt and end the shows with a big game hunt of a lifetime. bing crosby and phil harris bird hunts were the best. i would buy the dvds in a minute
  11. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Remember

I recall Ski faller was Vienko Bogotaj.

js
  12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Remember

Do I remember? Who can forget Bing Crosby and Phil Harris in a duck blind, Bing lighting his pipe, and singing to Phil..."Oh Mr. Harris, Oh mister Harris, will the birds fly today?" ect... Or the show where Andy Devine was on, also hunting ducks and geese?.... Yeah..... I remember....(long sigh)...... Dan Thome (Trap2)
  13. SI

SI TS Member

Remember

My one claim to fame. Back in the early 60's they were filming a pheasant hunt near Howard, SD and featuring Robert Stack. My Dad, Brother, myself and some friends came to the end of a corn field and there was the crew from American Sportsman coming to the end of a corn field from the opposite direction and we all met at the fence line. Can remember these things but don't kow what happened yesterday.

Dan
  14. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Remember

Hey Guys, If you are real careful you may be able to buy some footage of the series on ebay. I have a tape of some partial shows shot with hank Aaron and Phil Harris--|Bing Crosby etc. Its short tape sold by some outfit called sportmen on film or something. |Bought mine for under 10 bucks. Phil |Simms
  15. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Remember

Kurt Gowdy and Grits Gresham came to the Grand at Vandalia sometime in the 60's and did The American Sportsman. My dad took my cousin and me to watch them film. Gowdy and Gresham stood right behind the trap house and shot targets for the show. After they were done dad got some 8 MM film {vedio today} of us with Gowdy and Gresham, no sound back then. This was way before I ever shot trap. My mom still has the film on VHS today.

Brad Dysinger
  16. K-GUNS

K-GUNS TS Member

Remember

Thanks for the replys
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.