1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Remember Why and How You Shoot Good Scores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

How many times have I read this or heard it from other shooters. “Remember why and how you shoot good scores and then repeat it.” That statement indicates you can search your memory to when you had a good score and do it again. What CRAP!

I have shot good scores and bad scores but never had a clue what was going to happen when approaching the line. Example: A 100 pair of doubles event. I broke 99 of the first 100 and 83 of the second 100. Same day, same weather, same gun and same brand of shells.

I once saw Britt Robinson (in his hey-day) break an 89 in singles. I guess he, like most of us, forgot to remember on that day.

BB

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Booger, you sound frustrated

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I am frustrated, it's Monday and Winter's almost here.

BB

4. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

LOL...... Ahhhh the sport of trapshooting. Tends to try the patience of a person... I have seen many all american shooters fall on thier face during many shoots that I have been to. I dont think that it was a remembering problem, it was a mental wirecrossing that effects anyone in this sport. That includes Leo, Ricky, Frank, and so on. I can speak for myself when I say that my best days of shooting come from a mixture of confidence, mental focus and good visual speed. Sometimes all it takes is the determination to beat some A-hole beside you...lol. I would like to invent a drink that can be consumed before shooting that would bring all of these mental aspects together. Just think of the money a person could make. I would then hire Leo to do my shooting for me....lol. Good Luck.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Remembering to keep my head down. Stay in the gun. Seems I can't miss when I do those things. Why can't I remember????????????

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to be in the ZONE if you want to perform well. Your brain has two parts that get involved when you are shooting trap. The conscious and the subconscious. The subconscious runs all your bodily functions, it never makes a mistake. That's the part of your brain that you want to control your shooting. When the conscious mind tries to help out it usually screws things up.

So if you would like to enter the ZONE, I can help you out for a small fee. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested. HMB

7. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Now HMB, why would you teach this to other shooters when you can keep it a secret and win ALL the money yourself??????? :) Walt.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

hmb,

"The subconscious runs all your bodily functions, it never makes a mistake."

If so, what's a "wet fart"?

9. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

the answer would be "magic"
    like the day you went dove hunting and couldn't miss.
    The day you shot your lowest golf score.
    The day I broke my first 100 straight.

Then there are the days you shoot 2 boxes of shells and have about 10 birds.
    can't par a hole in golf.
    your down 3 targets after your first 25 singles.

Some kinda biological 'curve' that controlls our abilities.
    I read that somewhere in the past.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's just getting the crap out that the conscious mind put in the system. HMB

11. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

And how's that working out for you HMB?.... I don't see anyone on the All American team with those initials......? Before I pay you to teach me the secrets to consistent high scores, I would like to see your averages! ;-)
    ("wet fart"....very funny NHSC.)

12. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

All kidding aside HMB, I agree 100% with your theory of the "Zone". I think that the top shooters have some kind of natural ability to get into this zone alot more often than most of us.

If I should ever figure out how to do this, the last thing I would do is offer to teach it to my competitors! It would be alot more fun, (and profitable) beating them at the game, instead of teaching them how to beat me!

Kind of like the ads you see for "get rich quick" methods that individuals offer to teach for a fee..... it begs the question: if you have a technique that gets you rich, WHY would you share it with others...just do it yourself and get richer and richer!

13. Kolar-G

Kolar-G TS Member

I am in the Central Zone....but that's about it.

14. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I have shot good scores and some REALY BAD scores and seems to me when it's going good my eyes seem to focus on the target well , as in when I see it well I break it well . But it seems when I'm having trouble seing the bird /barrel/beed relationship it go's bad in a hurry .I quess I am raising my head at that time. Confidence is the key for me !! just my 2 cents Jeff

15. AEP

AEP Member

I think many shooters overlook being tired. I know I get tired when I shoot back-to-back. After about the third round my scores go down and I feel myself getting a brain drain.

I prefer to shoot a round, then skip a round. My scores stay more consistant. If I stay up late the night before I don't shoot as well.

Another thing is consentration. When tired you cannot consentrate as well and your mind wanders a little.

Just my opinion,
    AEP

16. TrapDoggie

TrapDoggie TS Member

I'm fairly new here, but given HMB's input and his last inital, I'm thinking his last name must be Bassham...as in Lanny Bassham, Mental Management Guru. I love all you guys that believe in the "Zone", the magic of squad rythm and all the other voodoo poo. The best shooters are able to block all that stuff out just a second or so before they call for each individual bird - you Can learn to do this too...

17. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Wood on wood, shoot the target, repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.