1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REMEMBER THIS?? I DOUBT IT, BUT JUST MAYBE ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brent Paulus, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

I wonder just how many of you folks remember these " GOOD OL DAYS " ? I'm betting a few of ya will. If ya have any other memories, please add them....
    Thanks
    Brent

:usa:

Attached Files:

BMWBOB and tmitom thanked this.
  2. Bighoss

Bighoss Active Member

62 ford country sedan, the whole family off to the beach. With ice cream packed in dry ice. Hadn't thought of that day in years! Thanks for the pic.

Brent Paulus thanked this.
  3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

When everybody in the country tried to work together and get along, and wasn't labeled with some IST or PHOBIA

stokinpls, CharlieAMA and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  4. fhelbig

fhelbig Member

In 1954 trip to Florida in a 52 Plymouth station wagon From western Md. to Fl. No fast food cooked along the road with a white gas Coleman stove. Family of 5

Russ-in-Pa and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  5. Seamus O'Caiside

Seamus O'Caiside Active Member

We never had a folding table or chairs like those. I don't know about other states, but VA used to have an occasional roadside table on a wide shoulder of major highways (paved two-lane roads). That would not be acceptable now, because pulling off the road and back on would be considered dangerous. Plus, there would be a lot more littering and vandalism now.

There was some littering even then, though. If you walked a few feet away from one of those tables, into the edge of the woods, you could detect an odd smell, and the ground would be littered with tissues, mostly behind a tree or bush. Sometimes there would be a used rubber on the ground.

trappermike and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  6. chipped99

chipped99 Well-Known Member

When the old man told you that he would kick a lung out of you if you pulled stupid crap like that again................AND YOU KNEW HE MEANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent Paulus, Catpower and fhelbig thanked this.
  7. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

First trip I remember from KY to FL was on a 2 lane highway, US27.
    Interstates were not there yet, this was around 1957.
    He had 1 credit card for gas, Sinclair, remember the green dinosaur?

Brent Paulus and fhelbig thanked this.
  8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our road trips to the family ranch in Northern California and to see the grand parents in Oregon were always fun. My Dad always had a 'Desert ' Canvas water bag tied to the front of the car. Remember vapor locks?

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Picnics in the park during the summer. When 50-70++ family members would show up from all over, bearing fried chicken, macaroni salad, potato salad, pies, and iced watermelon. All my older cousins and uncles would play softball and drink beer, remising about WWII. Everyone has moved on or passed away. "Yesterday when I was young" to quote a line from a famous song.

10. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Family vacation trip to Colorado. 1959 Plymouth station wagon puked a freeze plug. Dad carved a plug out of wood and hammered it into the block of the flathead 6 cylinder motor and it stayed there the whole trip.

11. BMWBOB

BMWBOB Member

Trip to Stone Mountain Ga. and Daytona Beach Fla. Speed week from Lorain Ohio. My 1962 Chev.Biscayne 4-dr. 6-cyl. 3- spd.
    Myself -Robert Whitman-Robert Towne -and John Penton. Penton,s homade 3-rail trlr. 3 on the rails 1 across the front.
    We all put $ 20 or 30 dollars in a coffee can to start the trip (gas food & park rentals ) Dropped a brake shoe outside Atlanta ,
    found a Chevy dlr. got fixed under warranty. Raced Stone Mountain Nat. Enduro and on to Daytona Beach.Watched short
    track nightly at stadium and ride on the beach daily. Catch the 200-mile Nat. on Sunday at the Int.speedway and head back to
    Ohio. Penton said the whole trip one and a half wks ?? cost us ea.$52.00 and some change.
    GREAT memories -- Oh to go back . Bob

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Brent,

I know that wasn't my family! The table and chairs! Good grief man! We would be sitting on the dirt bank with a plate on our knee's!

That car now, mom made dad go with us to the Grand canyon, that looks like the car. Left his folks place in Prescott, didn't stop until we got to the rim. Then he said 15 minutes to use the restroom get souvenirs and see the sites. My mom says we got 5 and then the car was moving! We made it back to Tucson with out a stop! My dad's excuse was if mom had let him relax and mom had just taken us kids. He would have been happy to stay in Prescott the 4 or 5 days they had talked about. But once she made him get in the car we might as well just go home! No use fighting in front of his parent!

Somewhere I have a few pictures of a car those colors, maybe even the same year!

13. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

Guys, maybe I should have said this sooner. That's not my family, I saw it in another article and it just brought back a lot of memories. I lost all of my photos a few years back in a fire. I should say the ones left over from the divorce. Didn't mean or intend for anyone to think it was me. Just thought that it might spark memories for you guys. Heck as a kid, the farthest I made it out of town is when my buddie and I hopped a train from Troy,Oh and got busted in Champaign , Illinois. We were 13 and looking for some excitement. Both my dad and my buddies dad drove out to get us. I will never ever forget that trip... Ever......

nitro27man thanked this.
  14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Had great vacation trips from Nashville, TN to the Smoky Mountains. Ate on concrete roadside tables along the way and in the park. Fried chicken (home cooked), thick cut ham sandwiches, potato salad, slaw, etc. Ate many a picnic lunch at a shady table next to the Pigeon River. Remember wading in the cold river water. Taffy, caramel apples and pancake breakfasts in Gatlinburg. Had my first spoon bread up there. Those were great trips.

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I spent many hours in a car that matches the picture. Mostly in the desert. I can think of some picnics in the pines near Prescott AZ.

My dad's department loved to take away days off, m parents where good friends with a ranching famil, so since they did not have a phone and the nearest phone was 15 to 20 miles away, that is where we spent many days even weekends! That station wagon took me on many adventures! Until it got sold before I was 9years old!

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Riding the tailgate of my uncles station wagon to the beach (circa 19580