1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remember the Poly Choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder how it patterns? Can't see much use for it for trap, but it might be handy for sporting clays. If it produces decent patterns.

3. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

In the 1960s, we derisively referred to it as a "corn cob."

4. larryjk

larryjk Member

The "official" nicknme was the "Briggs and Stratton muffler". If you didn't have a lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor you might not understand.

5. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Yes I have a poly-choke on a 1950's J.C. Higgins, 16. guage , worked fine for hunting.

Trap-4

6. miner1

miner1 Member

Yea, shot many a grouse with 16 ga. Remington 870 and a poly-choke. Remember waiting at the post office to get my barrel when it came in with the new contraption on it. Don't remember adjusting it much, but I thought it looked neat.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a JC Higgins 12 ga auto and a model 11 auto that has one. I can't really say how they shoot though as they have been in the closet pretty much since I bought them. Jackie B.

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Wish I had a dollar for every dial-a-duck I cut off!

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

I had one installed a couple years ago on a 20-gauge Remington 1100 barrel. I likes them, especially since they cheapen the price on used guns!

Dan

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

used to call em "dial-a-duck"

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

My grandfather and my great-uncle both had 16 gauge shotguns with Poly-chokes, put there on purpose. My grandfather had a Browning Sweet 16 and my uncle had a Ithaca Model 37. They used those guns to hunt ducks for many years. My father-in-law had a 12 gauge Model 12 that he put a Poly-choke on as well.

All 3 have passed away, but I still have my father-in-laws Model 12. I still take it out and hunt with it occasionally and I always think about him when I do.

As for me, I own a 16 gauge Model 12 with a Poly-choke on it, who am I to argue with tradition.

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Yep,

More dependable then any screw in choke tube, especially after you've had to deal with a stuck one.

Still made, still work.

We all know, "looks" aren't everything!

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

On of my boyhood guns was a bolt action 3 shot 20 gauge with a rifle rear sight, a front bead sight and a poly choke. Cost about $48 at Montgomery Wards. I never tried it on a pattern board, but dialed tight a direct hit on a rabbit did not leave much good meat.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The bad thing about the Polychoke is that from everything I've ever read they pattern just a good as any other choke. It makes it hard to justify your $400 set of interchangeable chokes. But they are ugly.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

We called them something a canine urinates with, if you have crossfiring issues I bet that lump out there would sure draw your eye.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The first shotgun I ever bought was an 870 with a poly choke on it, it worked pretty good, wish I still had the gun but traded it for something else

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Back in the days we had something to hunt our Poly-Choke equipped friends were noted for changing the dial whenever they missed!!

18. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

the corn cobb was the name for the cutts comp. the poly was the dial a duck. :>

19. maka

maka Member

There currently is a company in Fondulac, WI. who make poly chokes with screw in threads for barrels with screw in chockes. Google poly chokes. Good Luck.

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I used to havew a Mod 12 with a polychoke ... but my son claimed it for his hunting gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.