1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remember the pit bull thread?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by handlepuller, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

You might as well give your kid a loaded gun to go off and play with.

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

My heart and my prayers also go out to the family. What a horrible tragedy.

But the following excerpt from the story says a lot:

<i>"Zachary King Jr., was attacked in the basement of his home in the 3500 block of Humboldt Avenue N., where the dog was kept chained."</i>

Who the HECK keeps the family dog chained up in the basement?!!! I have a feeling our friend Tron may be able to post a photo of such person.

Again, I can't blame the entire breed for this awful tragedy. cls

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

cls my sentiments exactly this is an terrible tragedy and I would say that this animal needed to be destroyed. I also think that the similarities between this thread and the other thread should stop with the word attack.

Bob Lawless

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thats just awefull, What comes to mind after the sad news. WHY WAS THIS GUY BREEDING A DOG WITH SUCH A BAD DISPOSITION!!!! fighting dogs maybe. The name of the dog bothers me also FACE as in likes to go for the face. Ive seen all dog types go bad, becouse of bad owners. Now those Nakitas purely nasty dogs bad attitudes. A dog chained in a basement is a problem waiting to happen. Im thinking this neightbor hood is no place for a dog over 15lbs. Dogs need out door space and room to move.

5. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

"Again, I can't blame the entire breed for this awful tragedy. cls" All you Pit Bull owners are in total denial and are in need of serious help. This was a 7 year old boy that lost his life. BANN THEM ALL in every Town. Darren

6. Charles L. Schmidt

I'm not a Pit Bull owner, I'm not a Pit Bull lover. I am however a dog lover, and I've been in contact with some of the most lovable Pit Bulls ever. Has no one here seen Frank Wood's Rosie? A complete stranger could walk up to her and she'd roll over on her back with her tail wagging like crazy. As to say, please rub my belly. So I'm sorry but I just can't damn an entire breed of dog because so many ghetto dwellers tie them up to the porch or in the basement and coax them to be vicious. So deny that Darren, you're the one that needs help.

<i>All you Pit Bull owners are in total denial and are in need of serious help.</i> What an ignorant statement.

Here's my boy, "Titan". He's a 6 month old Bridle Great Dane, seen here in his favorite spot on my leather couch. If you break into my house while I'm away, I'm quite sure he would happily help you out with my television. That is if you could get him off the couch.

[​IMG]

cls

7. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

"I'm not a Pit Bull owner, I'm not a Pit Bull lover. I am however a dog lover, and I've been in contact with some of the most lovable Pit Bulls ever." CLS, I am a LAB owner, I am a PIT BULL HATER. I am however a Father of a 6 year old son. Me and my black lab have been attached by a pitbull. "IGNORANT" yes, and rightfully so. Darren

8. Charles L. Schmidt

Darren, I don't wish to debate this further. You know my position.

But you should know that bad German Shepherds don't make ALL GSD's bad. Bad Chows don't make ALL Chows bad. Bad Rottweilers don't make ALL Rottweilers bad. Bad Pit Bulls don't make ALL Pit Bulls bad. It's the truth Darren, I'm sure you've heard the old "One bad apple..." phrase. It applies here.

And I have to add that I'm not so fond of Labradors, always bringing stuff back all the time. If you want to impress me have your Lab POINT something!

(That's a joke)... cls

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Watch out Michael Vick!!!!!!!!!<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What percentage of a certain breed of dog has to be vicious before it becomes a stereotype?

Rocket science this ain't.

"My pet Alligator never hurt a soul". "My Tiger is just a little honey". Gimme a break for cryin out loud. Some pets are inherently more dangerous than others. This includes certain canine breeds.

Forrest Gump was right(Stupid is as stupid does).

Russian Roulette, anyone?

HM

11. handlepuller

Halfmile put it so well.

I think even being near a pit bull is like playing Russian Roulette. Never know what might happen.

I sewed up a lady once who yelled at her son to clean his room up and his pit bull attacked her, a dog who had always apparently seemed friendly.

12. Charles L. Schmidt

I'm afraid that so many, here and elsewhere, obviously have no sound knowledge on the subject but buy into the hype perpetuated by the media. Gentle, loving, well trained Pit Bulls just don't make headlines.

From the site linked above:

"Who's afraid of the Big Bad Pit Bulls?

Well, LOTS of people no thanks in part to some very damaging myths, the deeds of unscrupulous breeders/owners and the hyped up media coverage that has been plaguing this breed for years. So many untruths and half-truths have been repeated so many times that the general public has begun to believe fairy tales instead of fact. Its enough to make a bullydog supporter want to SCREAM!"

Aren't Pit Bulls MEAN and VICIOUS?

No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%. How did your favorite breed do? See for yourself: ATTS.org

In the ATTS test, a dog is put through a series of confrontational situations. Any sign of panic or aggression leads to failure of the test. The achievement of pit bulls in this study disproves once and for all the old tired belief that pit bulls are inherently aggressive to people.

Like any breed of dog, a healthy pit bull that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we've seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are the byproducts of irresponsible 'backyard breeders' and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic pit bull. Don't confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the huge majority of well-loved dogs in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

Don't Pit Bulls have LOCKING JAWS?

No. A pit bull's ability to "lock on" with it's jaws is one WHOPPER of a myth that refuses to let go! The jaws of a pit bull are built just as any other dog's jaw. There's no 'enzyme', no special mechanism that would make a pitbull's jaws 'lock'. They're DOGS, not alligators! What a pit bull does have is strength, tenacity, and determination. When he grasps something he wants to hang onto, his willpower is the glue.

Don't pit bulls have to be TRAINED TO FIGHT?

NO! Pit bulls are terriers, and terriers tend to be scrappy with other animals if unsocialized, poorly managed or otherwise left to their own devices. Just as farmers have used Jack Russell Terriers to do battle with badgers, foxes and other animals, unscrupulous people have exploited the terrier drive in pit bulls against other dogs for 'entertainment' purposes. Like many breeds, pit bulls can run the gamut from very dog aggressive to exceptionally dog friendly, but each dog shares some potential to fight other dogs if mismanaged. Avoiding dog fights involves understanding terrier traits and basic canine behavior in general."

"Forrest Gump was right(Stupid is as stupid does)."

Real profound stuff there HM... The only reply that I think anyone who would say something so ignorant could grasp would be:

<i>Expletive voluntarily deleted</i>

And I apologize to anyone my out of character comment above may have offended. Best regards, cls

13. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Wow, this thread is going downhill in a hurry...

Am I the only one who can't view the link? I get a page not found?

14. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Really Charles, is that necessary?

Ignorance IS bliss.

LL

15. handlepuller

Charles,

The difference between a Jack Russell attack and a pitbull attack is that a Jack Russell most likely isn't going to kill you.

I see a lot of people with dog bites from little yappers, especially on the face, which sucks but it's way different than a kid being killed.

16. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Ban all guns! Guns kill people! Just like Pitbulls!

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Can't remember the golden retriever kills child items, sorry. I must have the wrong newspaper.

"Yard full of Black Labs Maims gardener". YUP. Uh huh.

Your argument pleases you but empirical data is not on your side.

Have to leave now, got to go run over the Taco Bell dog.

HM

18. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

All dogs are capable of biting human beings. All dogs are can be tempermental depending age, health, environment, and food source. Pit Bulls are normally an aggressive dog. The aggression goes back to its lineage in what its original purpose for its breed. Simply put all dogs are capable of attacking people. The difference is with a pit bull, is the infliction of damage done by the dog is much more severe versus that of being bit by a pomerianian, beagle, lab etc.

My wife is a vet and tells people that pit bulls for the most part are mild mannered dogs but with an explosive temperment, especially toward children. The aggression toward kids may be do to the dogs feeling of superiority, size and power toward a small child. The dog may be mishandled ( hit or slapped) by a child. Or the dog simply does not like kids!

We know owners who say "they have pit bull and they are great with thier kids." We also know of owners who experienced sorry lessons by letting their kids around these dogs. Many times the trauma to the child can be life long if the attack doesn't end in the childs death!

As an insurance person, I strongly suggest to any homeowner "disclose to your insurance agent you have a pitbull, chow, akita, rottweiler, doberman and or german shepherd." Don't assume you have coverage! Strict liability laws in many states will overwhelmingly support a child who has been bit or mauled by a dog. You don't want to lose your home, financial assets and or future earnings because you simply didn't want to hear you had no coverage!

Rick

19. straycat

straycat TS Member

Has anyone noticed that there is NEVER a picture of these so called Pitbulls?

Most people do not know what an actual Pitbull looks like and want to say that every dog that is not a easily identified breed that bites someone is a Pitbull.

Rico46, I beg to differ with your wife............I own two Pits that acually take up for any kid that they are around,no matter the size of the child. One of my dogs is 10 and the other 4 and neither have offered to bite anyone.

Chuck, great post !! Jerry B, good lookin dog !!

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Linky no worky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.