1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REMEMBER HERTER'S?? I HAVE FOR SALE.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sure do remember Herter's. I have two of their old massive reloading presses. A single and a dual ram. These things are built like tanks. Cleaned them up and repainted them, and have used them for almost three decades now. The only hassle was getting three adapters to fit RCBS shell plates into them, but that issue was resolved a long time ago. Anyway, I resize a lot of military brass, and these work real well to swage military primer pockets, which are crimped to prevent primers from popping out in automatic weapons.

2. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Those were the days.

That catalog was the stuff that dreams were made of.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Bill,you have mail.

Bo

4. Bocephas

Bill,tried to email.Did not work.Email me if you will.
    Interested in the calls.

cbeardbo@hcil.net

Regards

Bo

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

My 1st 50 straight patch is a Herters.

6. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Back in the 70's I would travel to Herters in Waseca about a hour drive. Buy shot for $4.50 a bag wads $5.00 per thousand 700x $29.00 per keg. The good old days for sure.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I too remember the drive from St.Paul to Waseca. I remember when they got in legal trouble for advertising fly tying feathers from a bird on the endangered list. Does your "world famous" catalog mention a book by George L. Herter "How to live with a Bitch" ?? I dunno if he was writing about a dog or a woman.

8. Bocephas

Bill, do you have calls yet?Emailed again and left my email.

Still no answer.Is this for real or what?

Bo

9. Old Dr. Bill

Old Dr. Bill TS Member

Still use my "Bull Kitchen Knife"..

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I still have my old Herter's powder scale.

11. hairy

hairy TS Member

It was an hour drive for me to the Glenwood, Minn store. It seems like I averaged a trip a week. That's where I bought my used World Class Famous Custom Grade Super .401 PowerMag Revolver.

Actually wish I still had the gun. I do have alot of their reloading dies, press, powder measure and scale.

12. crusherbum18

crusherbum18 TS Member

my daughter shoots a Herters model S27 o/u that my father purchased years ago.The gun is still in great shape and is hard on targets.As far as chokes go there is full choke, extra-full,and then Herters full,this gun really smokes them!

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When I was kid my Heter's catalogue was my constant companion. Truly a book of dreams. I still have my Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel I bought from them and it works fine. I had to replace the bail return spring, other than that it is original.

14. Bocephas

Anyone know what happen to this giant that just went away?

Bo

15. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

There was a store in Olympia Washington. As a young man I spent many happy hours cruising the place. I still have some Herter's wads, and a Herter's Catalog. Good memories of great times that will never be resurrected. BRGII

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I still have 40 or 50 slip top boxes for .38 Spl reloads. Used them for Bullseye back when I could shoot a pistol pretty well.

I think I paid $.27 each for them in bulk - or maybe it was $.57. It sucks to get old.

Don

17. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

Bocephas.....I believe that Cabela's bought them out,they sell clothing and decoy's under the Herter's name.

18. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

For those of you that saw them, won't those animal mounts something? I think Jaque Herter shot most all of them. MnJim

19. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

In the '60s I seem to have sent them an order every week or so, mostly for fishing tackle. My favorite crappie rod today when using minnows is one I bought from Herters in 1967. I have several Herter metallic presses and one humongous Herter 12 gauge shell loader that must weigh 40 or 50 pounds. It is built on the #3 metallic press and they didn't bother to try to make it any ighter. The Herter shell holders were different from and much more complex than the Pacific-type which is the standard now. I have four Herter catalogs and am always amazed at the diversity of outdoor products they sold. And they were not an outdoor boutiqe such as Cabela's is with their forty or so pages of camo clothes. There were also off-shoots of Herter's metallic loaders that went by different names, Krupp-American, Luger-American, R.F. Wells and a couple of others. I have at least one die set of each make. The problem with their dies was that they were chrome-plated inside and sometimes the plating would peel off.

Remember their slogan, "Order one out."?

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You guys recall loading any Herters Long Range un-slit wads? Absolutely the heaviest wads I ever loaded! They killed outa one end and crippled on the other! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

401 herters brass