1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remchoke size question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

Remington states that their standard bored 12 gauge barrels have a bore of .727. In looking at the Remchoke sizes on the Remington web site it states that their Skeet choke has an ID of .732 and that the Improved Skeet measures .725 both being more open than the .727 barrel bore.

In looking at Briley’s web site I see that they base their choke constrictions on a .730 barrel bore. They list their Cylinder choke as having a .730 diameter and then progressing tighter by .005 per choke tube down to Extra Full at .690.

My question is this; how can the Remchokes mentioned above have a larger ID measurement than the actual bore of the barrel? And how does this work?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All choke tubes have an inlet diameter slightly larger than the bore for which they are intended to prevent a wad from catching on the tube and obstructing the barrel. That "clearance" is usually along the lines of .005".

That is also the reason Remington built their overbored "Target" barrels with a bore tapering down to .727". If a RemChoke tube intended for a .727" bore were to be installed in a barrel with a .745" bore, the results would not be pretty.

Ed

3. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey guys,
    Does Rem. make an improved mod. remchoke? I have never seen one. Would like to have one. -powderburn

4. linkerman

linkerman Member

Not that I am aware of, you would have to go to Briley's or another source for that. Try the below link below (copy and paste into your browser)to the Remington web site, it contains all of their choke specifications.

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/remchoke_specs.asp

5. linkerman

linkerman Member

Yes, you are right EE, excuse my bad math.

David w

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem choke thread size