1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rembering Billy Carter

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigdogtx, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Isn't it AMAZING what you find when you finally READ THE DANG BILL!!!!

www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-tc-nw-hometown-plains-1114-1nov17,0,7840345.story

chicagotribune.com
    Billy Carter gas station historic?
    Plan is afoot to memorialize his gas station
    By Richard Fausset

Tribune Newspapers

November 17, 2009

PLAINS, Ga.

-- In the age of the $787 billion stimulus package, it is, perhaps, a modest question:

Should American taxpayers foot the bill to enshrine the gas station run by the late Billy Carter -- the beer-swilling, wisecracking, self-professed redneck brother of the 39th president?

Located in tiny Plains, still the world's most famous peanut town some 28 years after the Carter presidency, the station was transformed into a museum last year by a civic group that owns the property.

Its claim to historical significance came during Jimmy Carter's 1976 presidential run, when reporters mobbed Plains and transformed the station into an unofficial headquarters.

It became the setting for story after story about Billy Carter and his down-home manners and epigrammatic wit (for example: "Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink -- especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is").

Last month, the House approved a measure that would incorporate the station into the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site, a National Park Service operation that already runs a number of Carter-related buildings in Plains.

A similar bill is under consideration in the Senate's Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

The legislation calls for the park service to take over the gas station, plus an old farmhouse where Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, lived from 1956 to 1961.

The park service would also take over a state-run welcome center threatened with closing because of state budget problems.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates it would cost $17 million to upgrade and maintain the sites over the next five years. That was enough to elicit an objection from Steve Ellis, vice president of the Washington-based Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Ellis said his concern has nothing to do with Billy Carter's place in history. It's a question of priorities, he said. The park service already faces a $9 billion maintenance backlog for property it manages, according to the Congressional Research Service.

The gas station is "not in imminent danger of being turned into condos or something like that," Ellis said. "So you've got to question whether it's the best move for the park service."

But "the Billy Carter piece is just one little tiny component" of the historic site, said Gary Ingram, superintendent of the Carter site. "It's a spur, but it's a spur that still has relevance because it's connected to the larger story."

rfausset@tribune.com

Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

So who still has a can or two of "Billy" beer lying around?

I still have an unopened 6pk in the plastic rings.

ss

3. GRR

GRR TS Member

OH I REMEMBER BILLY, HE WAS THE SMART ONE OF THE TWO BROTHERS.

I ALSO REMEMBER THE CUBANS THAT CASTRO DUMPED ON US IN THE 70'S. THAT WAS PLANNED FOR OVER A YEAR BEFORE THEY ARRIVED. JIMMY OKED THAT BULLSHIT WELL OVER A YEAR IN ADVANCE. CASTRO FAKED JIMMY OUT AND EMPTIED HAS PRISONS.

4. Urbans

Urbans Member

I have 2 full cases of "Billy beer with the cardboard flats. Anybody interested?

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

IMHO Billy's beer sucked as much as Jimmy Carter did.(well almost) LOL Jackie B.

6. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I try my hardest to forget the national nightmare that was Jimmy Carter, but things like this bring it sharply back into focus. He was the worst President of my lifetime, though Obama is rapidly becoming a strong contender for that title.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Charles, It's almost embarrassing to admit I'm from Georgia(almost Florida) when Jimmy Carter is brought up. But, Obama has done more damage in a much shorter time to America. I must admit he has created jobs, after all we didn't have Czars before he came into office, and has given away more money that all the presidents that preceded him. At any rate, he has taken over the number one spot as worst president I think. Jackie B.

8. Charles.F.Phillips

Jackie,

You could be right, but I keep thinking of the Iran hostage situation. After a year of doing nothing, Carter finally ordered a joint services operation at a time when we weren't yet doing joint operations because he gutlessly feared letting one service get all the credit. That decision directly resulted in the death of 8 Americans. The only positive thing to arise from that mess was the formation of USSOCOM - the military learned lessons from that debacle even if the Peanut Farmer did not.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

9. Charles.F.Phillips

Jackie,

I spent my final tour in the Marine Corps at Albany, GA. I lived in Leesburg and was about 30 minutes from Andersonville - what a powerful place that is. It's hard to go through that museum and walk through the graveyard, the monuments and the actual site and not get choked up.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The United States needs a monument to the drunken brother of the second worse President of the U.S. I saw a picture of the first worse Presidents half brother the other day. He also looks like a real winner.