1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem870 What might cause it to ......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big joe, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

Occasionally Ill take my 10 year old 870 field gun to the range for a round or
    two. It seems like about once in a round ill pull the trigger and nothing, no click . I took the trigger assembly out and its clean..and lightly lubed.
    I will rack it open and try again and then its OK. Im using Federal Wally World Value-pack shells... thanks...Joe

2. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I had this very thing happen many years ago, right after I bought my 870 used, and actually it turned out to need a good cleaning. Call me please, I'll discuss it in a bit more detail (760)788-8888, Or e-mail your number and I will call you. VERY SERIOUS WARNING THOUGH - I was a new shooter at the time, and when it failed to fire I dropped the gun back down instinctively to about my hip, without opening it up first, or waiting a few seconds to make sure it wasn't going to fire (real green, and didn't know any better). As soon as I got it about halfway down it fired, while my hand grips were loose. I am right handed, and caught the forearm in my right hand and the muzzle in my left. No injuries other than dirty drawers!

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The "no click" doesn't sound quite right, but one thing that happened to mine several times was the spring surrounding the firing pin breaking. It would then twist into itself over time, and would not hold the pin to the rear so that the hammer could strike it. When that happened, pull trigger - no bang. I'd suggest checching the firing pin spring.

4. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Big Joe:

Here are my thoughts:

Q1. On a "Failure to Fire" (FTF)are you seeing an indentation in the primer? If so, does this indentation appear to be a light hit?
    Q2. Upon attempting to pump a round into the chamber, does it appear to you that the shell actually went into the chamber all the way, or is the shell "hanging up" someplace leaving the action partially open?
    Q3. Is the firing pin damaged? Does it need to be replaced?
    Q4. Does this happen with all of your ammo, or is this occurring with Federal Value Pack shells?

Joe, I am not a gunsmith, nor am I an expert on Remington 870's. If the problem persists, I would spend the money to have a qualified gunsmith examine your shotgun, and take the appropriate corrective action.

Good luck!

Dave

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Had this happen a few years ago after a couple hundred thousand rounds from my 1972 TB....top part of the sear had crystallized. Had, at the time, to replace whole trigger group. Last summer, a friend had the same thing, pull the trigger, no nothing. I took his home, pulled the trigger out, couldn't find anything wrong...I swapped in a spare trigger group and sent him on his way. I've been fooling around with his old trigger group ever since and sometimes the hammer will drop, sometimes it won't. Puzzled. (and now I'm out of spares. Time to watch the auctions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.