1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem31 go boom - they say bad things come in 3s...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RayReys, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayReys

RayReys Member

So they say bad things come in threes...

Went to my local range for some trap today;

I had bought twelve boxes of 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz Fed. Top Gun loads at the local wally mart prior to hitting the range.

Got out my new to me Valmet 412S once again; halfway through the 2nd round the top lever stopped engaging...again. There's this little pin that keeps rotating and then dropping down, preventing the lever from engaging the locking mechanism. Third time it has done this in the <80 rounds I've shot it.

So I decide to pull out the Remington Mod 31. It's a first year production gun that was previously built up with a Simmons rib and some custom stock work...I've been using it for mostly doubles and a few handicap rounds, and has never let me down....

I had a bit of difficulty ejecting a couple of the hulls while finishing the third round.

On the 4th round, with a new box of shells, I got a couple more extraction issues; had to give the forend a good pull in order to get them out.

On the third of fourth shot of post #2 (where I started), I closed the action and called pull....

BOOM~!

Felt a bit of heat on my face and a bit of pain on my right shoulder near the pocket (I'm a lefty shooter). The puller and range manager, who were watching me and my group shoot, all had dropped back in surprise. Saw a piece of the steel base on my thermal, the hull still in the barrel, the bolt shoved all the way back, and the base in pieces on the ground.

The shoulder hurt, but thought I was generally alright...just stunned. So was everyone else on the squad, and the pullers, and the other fields. First words out of my mouth: "Did I hit it (the clay)?"

Manager and I looked it over for a few, then I put the gun on the rack and was offered an 18" Moss. 930SPX to finish the round. On post #5, using the same box of shells, the gun failed to cycle. I pulled the bolt back and saw that the part of the base which met the extractor had torn. Took that back to the rack and shoved it out with a rod.

Took a look at my shoulder/breast area, and sure enough, there was some blood and a shallow, but small gash, and yet another piece of the steel base lightly wedged in there. Pulled it out and the manager and I went over to the club house for some first aid.

Sat out a couple of rounds after that...

First off, thank GOD I had but several scratches and the shallow cut...could have ended much worse for me and those beside me. The base of the wad was found about an inch from the muzzle upon inspection. From what everyone was saying, it may have been the ammunition, or it may have been the gun. Only thing we could think of is that it fired without being completely in battery, or that there was an obstruction in the barrel? On the pics, you'll notice that the action bar has been severed, and the front of the bolt is missing a piece. The receiver and barrel look fine.

One of the older shooters said that these things came in three and I should take up checkers.

On a good note, I met a couple of good groups of people that I hope to shoot with again. Also ended up shooting a straight with a buddy's K80 (with a different box of Top Guns) before packing up.

Hit the CVS for some betadine and neosporin, and will probably get a t-dap shot just in case.

That was the first time anything like this has happened to me, and I am lucky and thankful to get away with very minor injuries.

Oh the piece with the blood is the one that was imbedded diagonally in my chest/shoulder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

wow that stinks hope your ok.

3. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

Rayreys, sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

After looking at your picture of the fired round, are you sure that you have

new factory ammo? Typically the Walmart-Federal Top Gun hulls have a primer

that is solid silver in color. Yours appears to have a gold center like the

Federal 209A primers that are in new Gold Medal hulls, or a hull that has been

reloaded with Federal primers.

May want to look into those other boxes of ammo you have?????

mac

4. RayReys

RayReys Member

Hi mac, I have two boxes straight from WalMart sitting in front of me and they both have gold colored primers...I'm gonna see if I can find an old hull from my last batch I shot...

Edit: pulled the other four boxes from the bag and sure enough, they're also gold?

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I see a lawsuit in the making!!

6. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

All the top guns I've shot in the last month or so had the gold primer.

7. RayReys

RayReys Member

Finally got the Valmet open - the box I used in that gun: silver primers...guess I got an older batch along with some newer ones.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Ray,
    Think you need to have a talk with Federal on Monday. Have the batch number off the shell box when you make the call. I'd be curious to know about the primers, never seen anything except silver on the Walmart shelves

Andy aren't you Grand Marshall at the Jack Frost this year??

Surfer

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Now that you are mending, I hope you can get the fine old model 31 up and running again.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No offense, but you must be a slow learner. After the first screwed up shell I'd have chucked those pos shells in the trash. Sounds like you were determined to hurt yourself or someone else severely.

Just Say'n........

P. S. I'm glad your injuries were not severe and you are ok.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

1st GLAD you are OK, be careful and watch for ANY sign of infection. 2nd do you have any of that box left, if so measure them for size (diameter) or loose fit in chamber compared to another brand, then cut a couple open and weigh the powder and shot, check the base wads in those you cut open to be sure they are tight because if they are undersize it's possible for gas pressure to get under the base wad and push it up the bbl. Will say an extra THANK YOU prayer for you tonight.

As noted above methinks a call to Federal is in order.

VERY lastly if you need any parts I do have some for M31s.

Ross Puls

12. RayReys

RayReys Member

Thanks guys for the kind words and info - I do have the box with six shells left (the rest went out of the 930). I'll give them a call or send them an email just as an FYI. I have always liked their Top Gun loads for being low cost shells to practice/have fun with. If it was the ammo, hope no one else has to go thru this.

I've hit it twice with hyrdogen peroxide, and twice with betadine already; neosporin applied liberally before bandage. T-dap by Monday and will definitely keep an eye out. Good thing the dentist prescribed me penicillin last week haha.

Excluding today, I fired exactly 602 rounds out of the 31...

I'm actually hesitant to fix her up, or shoot anything with the action on the right side at least for now lol; part of me wonders if something wore/was worn on the gun and caused it or helped make it happen. Again, the receiver and barrel seem fine however. Will eventually have a gunsmith take a look (anyone know anyone in SoCal that still knows 31s?)

Especially glad the barrel is okay...don't think 32" Simmons ribbed barrels (with a slight bend for a higher POI) are common anymore. Maybe one day I can find a good receiver locally, or send it to a good home if I end up parting it.

There's a LH 870 that someone has that I'm trying to get my hands on...I need me a new doubles gun to replace this:/

I'll be shooting a sporting clays fun shoot tomorrow...going to stick with a LH Benelli for now.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

ReyRey,

Where are you in SoCal? San Diego, Orange or LA county? Sure glad you are ok! There is a smith at Redlands if I recall. Definitely send that baby out to a good gunsmith for a rebuild. If you are in San Diego I can tell you where NOT to go.

Once nice part of shooting an O/U is that you can check the barrels for obstructions between shots.

-Aaron

14. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

Yeah Grntitan everytime i see someone shooting promotoional shells i think they're out to kill me too, especially those shooters who might have a bit of trouble ejecting a spent hull. But then i come to my senses and realize that the factory tolerences may not be as tight on the various componentry thats associated with our promotional shells. I then also question what truely happens to the chamber of a gun as it goes through tens of thousands of heat cycles throughout its life and what affect this might have on the chamber diameter size. There are too many other variables to list, especially for a slow learner like myself.

The Federal Wally-world promo packs have assorted primers, some bricks have the standard silver washed primer and others appear to have a Federal 209.

To the original poster, Ray.
    A call to Federal would be a great first step to take in getting somewhere.
    I wish you the best and would like to hear what federal has to say about this issue.

Good shooting to all from a steel hull sticking, slow learning, ljutic shooter.

TB, The Boy

oh, BTW just sayn...........

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I question the way the shell separated at the base. Does this indicate internal pressure in the shell, rather than a barrel obstruction?

Save everything and give White Labs a call.

HM

16. RayReys

RayReys Member

Just read grtitan's post,

and in retrospect, I really should have stopped using that particular box when I transitioned to the Mossberg...I guess my thought process was more centered on the notion that it may have been more the gun than the ammunition.

Oh, and while I do have six boxes left (different batch codes) of the Top Guns,
    and not that I'll stop buying promos like Gun Clubs and the like, I did drop by the local shop for some more Win AAs :)

Aaron -

I'm in the IE/OC area - shoot at Redlands at least once a month on a Sunday with the local club...but the gunsmith is off on weekends - I'll check him out though...still a bit hesitant, but maybe I can get the 31 up and running again.

Thanks

Now off to Raahauges for some sporting clays!

Thanks everybody -
    RayR

Oh, here's a pic of the shell that got stuck in the Mossberg 930 - Again, I'll definitely give Fed a call and send the hulls and the remainder of the box out -

[​IMG]

And here's a better pic of both:

[​IMG]

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Personally, the first call I'd be making would be to the lab, and unfortunately, call number 2 would be to a lawyer. I'm not the litigious type, but you were injured, and you and others around you could have very easily been killed. It could happen.

Don't call Federal if you're going to pursue this. The last thing you want to do is give them a warning of what may be on the horizon. That may seam like an unfair thing to do because maybe there is a bad lot out there, and others may be in harms way, but let your lawyer deal with that.

But by all means, get those shells to the lab, pronto.

18. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Ray,

I'm not sure I completely agree with blizzard. I think a call to Federal is appropriate. Federal should be informed if there is a chance of a bad lot of shells sitting on store shelves. I would give Federal the opportunity to recall the lot and possibly save another shooter from getting hurt.

JMAC

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree that Federal should be notified. They may already be aware of it, from someone else reporting malfunctions in there guns. So, from what I am reading is these shells caused three different guns to malfunction, including one that caused injury? Personally, I would have stopped using them after the injury. If any legal action is in the future, that third guns use may be detrimental against your case. Plus, I would have been to upset to move on to the third gun knowing my Model 31 has just been blown up. It sounds like there is a problem with the metal base on the shells. The bolt probably did not lock fully in place, but still allowed the trigger, and firing pin to operate.

20. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Ray, glad ur ok man. but yes please call Federal and tell them whats going on. Give them a chance to investigate it and go from there. Let me know if u need anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.