1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem to Stop making the 700 action?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I heard that Rem maybe stopping making the 700 action. Has anyone here heard anything about that?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Discontinue the best thing they ever made. Bankruptcy is sure to follow. HMB

3. DocJim

DocJim Member

Not to despair, the Model 70 is coming back in pre-64 livery!!!
    Jim

4. m70win

m70win Member

Jim will that be a made in china model 70.

5. DocJim

DocJim Member

Negative. Being made in Columbia, SC by FN Manfacturing and should be in stores by June 2008. See January issue of American Rifleman.........Jim

6. m70win

m70win Member

Jim that makes sense I'm sure they'll do a good job.I can't imagine someone not making a 700 action. Tim

7. cnsane

cnsane Member

They changed the fire control lockwork on the 700. And now make the pistol XP action as a rifle. I also heard that due to liability concerns over sueing gun manufacturers that if a Democrat gets elected Remington will drop all firearms manufacturing and concentrate on the golf and fishing markets.

8. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Is not this rumor about Remington and the 700 action just that they will quit selling the action only or the barreled action only?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I received a letter from Remington stating that they are no longer selling actions or barreled actions and that MidwayUSA bought all their remaining inventory. The latest email flyer I got from Midway listed them.

My thought is that it's pretty hard to improve on something like the Model 700 action. The many talented custom rifle makers in our country haven't even been able to come up with much that would be a benefit to a hunter, so I'm buying a couple of new Model 700SPS stainless/composite rifles this week for $539.95 each "just in case."

By the way, the new caliber for the Model 700CDL for 2008 will be the .257 Weatherby Magnum.

Ed

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

The remingotn 700 is one of the best actions ever built IMO. I don't know if I would buy any remington rifle that isn't a 700.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    With the crappy quality in the last few years like chronic bolt handle separation, bent barrels, etc., maybe it just got to the point where making the 700 was simply beyond Remington's capability?

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The best bet for a custom rifle is to find a pawnshop gun after hunting season and make it into what you want. The barrelled actions generally cost as much as a complete used rifle, and you don't get all the parts.

13. AveragEd

I think that's a Model 715, not 700.

Ed

14. virg

virg Member

The remington with the Mauser action is a 798, my son won one at a fund raiser. Virg

15. AveragEd

Agreed.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.