1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Primers #97

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GBR, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBR

GBR Member

I just obtained a pack of Remington #97 primers. Are they safe to use on Rem Gun Club shells? Or are they to small for these shells? Please advise. GBR

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

They are the stabdard 209 size, and equal to the current STS primer. The flash hole is not covered, so many refrain from using them with fine ball powders.

3. GBR

GBR Member

Thanks very much for the information. The reason that I asked the question was that someone told me the #97 primer was either too large or too small compared to Federal 209's that I currently use. GBR

4. mybuddierob

mybuddierob TS Member

I bought an old mec reloader at an estate sale awhile back and there was a box of CCI #157 primers that was included as part of the package. Can these CCI 157 primers be used for a replacement for anything?

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The CCI 157 ARE the smaller size, and can be used only in the legacy hulls that call for the #57 primer size. I haven't found a use for the except to trade with a guy who had some of the old hulls.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The 157's were used in the hunting shells and in the 3 inch 20 guage for a long time after discontinuing in target shells.

I have a few packs of 157's and a supply of 3 inch 20 hulls waiting for a winter night when there is nothing else to do.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.