1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem nitro27

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by harpo, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpo

harpo TS Member

anyone know the recipe to duplicate rem nitro27 1 1/8oz load

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Its done with a powder not available to the public. Seems like in the past it was done with 18 grains tight group. In my gun 18 grains tight groups is not too bad, 21.5 grains of Green dot is better. A few more total pellets in the pattern and a hair denser core. YMMV Basically what you are looking for is a dense patterning (hi antimony shot, my opinion West Coast Magnum) 1230 to 1250 f.p.s. and that sir is a Nitro duplicate load. Or you can buy Nitros. Your findings may differ, these are mine. Scott

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Scott is right about the powder. I suggest you cut one open and weight the powder. This way if it is close to 18 grains, the batch of powder that Remington used is pretty close to what TiteGroup is.

The complete recipe is Rem Nitro/STS hull, Rem 209P primer, 18 gr of Hodgdon TiteGroup, 1 1/8 oz shot and Rem TGT12 wad. The wad is actually a 1 oz version of the Fig 8 wad but fits well with the dense TiteGroup powder and actually has a 1 1/8 oz shot cup.

Jason

4. Scott Johnson

Going by poor memory, the powder is 19 grains so like I said before the factory no longer uses tight group, but the rest is a TGT wad, remington primer, and STS shot 6% antimony. Hard shot is the key @ 1230 to 1250 f.p.s. Scott

5. Scott Johnson

Here is another thing to keep in mind, 5 to 6% antimony shot is a hair lighter than 2 to 3 % shot. So lets take a Nitro and compare to soft shot. # 7.5 soft shot in 1 1/8 oz has 389 pellets, if you open a Nitro and count them you will find 400-410 pellets, 6% antimony pellets are lighter so you get a few more pellets in harder shot to make 1 1/8 oz. So there is a pellet count advantage. Not only do you have a few more pellets but you have a higher % that stay in the pattern because the harder shot deforms less in firing and going through the choke, this is why premium shells cost more and are worth more, MHO (Federal papers, Winchester AA, Remington Nitros). These are my findings yours may differ, a guy named Joe Hunter did an extensive diognosis of these on another site, he was very thorough. Scott

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yup, and if you weigh the shot charges you'll often find the factory loads contain around 405 to 410 grs!!

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Andy, that same thing was true when Winchester came out with their "Handicap Loads" when they had most of the new shell market for handicap trap shooting. I know, I counted and weighted many of them. Remember the all black "Handicap" loads? When those came on the market, the velocity was increased a tad in addition. Killed outa one end of the gun and crippled on the other?

Remington tried that same thing with their Nitros when first available in the late 80s or early 90s. That first lot I tried kicked like a true bank mule! Much harder than the old Win Handicaps did!! Remington did tame the recoil to a much more tolerable level though and settled on the 1235 Nitros we use today.

I have a box or two of Federals "Handicap Loads" listed at 1235 that must be a mis-print on velocity? They remind me of the bank mule kicking loads that the first Nitros were??

Hap

8. Scott Johnson

Ole,
    You mean 500 to 510 grains. 492 grains in 1 1/8 oz of shot, sorry, not being a smart ass. Scott

9. Hap MecTweaks

LOL, Scott, I knew what he meant but his fingers didn't co-operate?

Hap

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

No Scott, that's exactly what Hap and I are referring to and you're not being a smart ass-just guilty of not weighing factory load shot charges!!

11. Scott Johnson

Top All American this past year uses Nitro's (Harlan Campbell)and I think Mr. Hawley does also, but I have seen Stu Welton run 100 straight @ the 27 with 3 drams STS factories and also I have seen Denis Bringelson run 100 straight @ the 27 with 2 3/4 dram STS factory shells. Take your pick. A lot of shooters use Federal's and or Federal papers also, supposedly they are 5 % antimony in their shot. HArd shot is the key, but pointing the gun right is always the answer. LOL Scott

12. Hap MecTweaks

Scott, remember too it was Arnold Reigger that dominated our game of handicap shooting a 2-3/4 dr load of soft chilled shot. Lots of others opted for the 3 dr load and suffered the deformed shot problem lots of times.

Hap

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Although Remington no longer buys Titegroup from Hodgdon for the Nitro 27, they use a powder remarkably similar to it, made in the same factory where Hodgdon has Titegroup made.

But I wouldn't cut open a factory shell, weigh the charge and load the same amount of Titegroup, as they may have changed the formulation and that could be a dangerous proposition.

You can go to the Hodgdon website and recreate the Nitro 27 factory shell as follows:

Remington hulls <br>
    Titegroup powder <br>
    TGT-12s wads (the Hodgdon data shows Figure 8 but that doesn't fit well) <br>
    Remington primers <br>
    Good magnum shot (Remington STS is good stuff)

Good luck.

14. harpo

harpo TS Member

thanks guys that was a big help

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Remington Nitro " 27 " powder secret was LONGSHOT POWDER on the early shells.

Someone said they smuggled in Winchester Super Handicap Powder.

Some was disguised as Winchester Super Field too.

I got this straight from the mules a$$.

TITE GROUP GETS YOU 11,300+pSI SAME AS wINCHESTER SUPER HANDICAPS

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Nicholas

Nicholas TS Member

Remington probably buys the OEM version of Titegroup from ST. Mark's Powder. OBP-242 is the OEM designation for Titegroup.

I chronographed a box of genuine Nitro 27's. They averaged 1266 fps over a optical chronograph, which generally speaking reads 30 fps faster than the advertised velocity. Factories use a inductive coil type chronograph for shot shells. Coil type chronographs measure the velocity of the entire shot mass, vs. the first few highly accelerated pellets on a optical chronograph. I dissecting a few shells and found 18.6 - 18.8 grains of a Titegroup looking, flattened ball powder.

To duplicate this using Titegroup it took the following:

Hull: Remington STS/Nitro 27, Primer: Win 209 (couldn't find Rem 209P's in my area), 18.8 grains Titegroup, TGT12 wad, 1 1/8 OZ #7 1/2 hard Mag shot. Averaged 1267 fps.

Nick

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

A little physics here regarding shot...

I agree that different compositions of lead differ in scale weights, but since shot is measured by volume, not weight, you are going to get the same number of shot bb's in a bushing drop REGARDLESS of the shot's composition.

If a bushing with a inside diameter of 0.639"-0.640" throws typically 1 1/8 shot, it is moot to think that a heavier shot pellet is different is OAD. A sphere is a sphere, and today's bushings are made to throw a certain volume.

WW

18. Scott Johnson

Whiz White, think outside the box, you can get your bushing to drop 1 1/8 oz of hard shot. Scott

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

There was never any smuggling of powders in the early Nitro 27's, we did some of the prototype itesting prior to the release .The ORIGINAL Niro 27"s were 21.7 grains of Clays International, Rem primer, fig 8 wad, 1255 fps, at 9100 psi. incinerate em!

20. Scott Johnson

Thanks Ben, that is good velocity at average psi. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

obp 242 powder vs titegroup

st marks obp 242 used to load what