1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Gun Clubs Prob.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Yesterday, a fellow shooter had the brass on a Remington Glub (new shell )separate from the hull, It clearly states on the box-these shells are not intended for serious competition. If they're not for competition what are they intended for?

Phil Berkowitz

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Now.. if you want the ammo to put you in the winners circle.. might we suggest the Remington STS shell.. at $3.00 a box more.. LOL The greatest run I ever had from the 27 was with Remington Shur-shot 1 1/8oz #8 That day.. Nitro 27's and WW Super Handicapp shells looked like imported trash for the sideliners.. Just put the lead on the target.. and they will break..

I must admit.. I am still working off 100 flats from about 8 years ago.. so if the new shells are trash.. please forgive me.. I like the older ones.. Never had a problem..

3. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Sounds like Remington might have some quality control problems. The last two weeks a fellow shooter has had new 20 ga. Gun Clubs intermittently not fully seat in the chamber and cause his K20 to bind on closing. It appears that the brass (zinc plated steel actually) was not properly formed and the rim was too thick. Every company has some quality issues...I imagine the less you pay the more frequent they are.

Scott

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I recently had a thread about problems I have encountered with the Federal and Winchester 4 pack shells sticking in my 870 when trying to extract the fired hull. Obviously, these companies can no longer afford to produce these shells without these problems happening. If that's the case, I will purchase a few flats of quality shells and just reload them. I don't need added problems on the line that affects my shooting and other shooters too.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I wouldn't say obviously.

The ammo companies are rolling the the dough. They can't make ammo fast enough these days. I just think its poor components coupled with a lil greed.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've seen this same separation happen rarely over the years. When you produce as many of these hulls as Remington does, you're bound to get a clinker on occasion. I've seen it happen to STS hulls, too. Heck, I've seen the primer cup come out of an STS primer

<blockquote><I>"It clearly states on the box-these shells are not intended for serious competition. If they're not for competition what are they intended for?"</i></blockquote>Think about it. If you produced both the Gun Club and the STS, would you want people to think that the two were equally suited to "serious competition"? Which would you pick then? The GC shells don't use the "premium wad" or the "premium shot" but I've seen enough 100s broken with GC shells to know that isn't nearly as important as Remington wants you to think it is.

MK

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have we started importing trap and skeet ammo from China yet? HMB

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Remstar311- You emphatically stated "The ammo companies are rolling the (sic in) the dough. You seem to have confused volume with profit. I have not seen any financial statements from ammunition manufacturers.

Pat Ireland

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've looked all over my cases and boxes of Gun Clubs. Where does it say 'these shells are not intended for serious competition.' ???

10. Unknown1

Well, it's sort of backhandedly implied on the back of the box in the corner of the shell diagram that GC shells aren't quite good enough for competition... It's not quite "clearly stated" but...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What it means is: "if you want to win, shoot our expensive stuff."

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ahhh, guess we'll just have to have disclaimers for all those 100's shot by trapshooters with those lousy GC shells....

13. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have been reloading GC hulls for some time (thousands) and have not encountered ONE problem. Some hulls are on their 3rd or 4th reload. Friends at my club also reload and haven't heard any complaints. Having said that, the STS hulls seem to be better constructed.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Selling a good amount of ammunition through our range operation, to accomodate the steel ammo requirement, I have seen both the high-end and low-cost offerings from Winchester, Remington, Rio and Federal over the years. Today the AA-Steel and STS Steel are fond memories. But its a matter of economics and what folks are willing to pay for a product.

Clearly, higher end shells use better quality shot, hulls, primers etc... the economical loads use what is viable to keep the price point where necessary. With the thousands of shells I sell a day, I ask every customer to open the box, take a cursory look for major imperfections and while I expect to see an occasional bad head stamp, poor crimp or even crushed side wall, they are fewer and far between - although I can imagine how many get culled from the production lines...

In a massed produced world, at their speed of production, its astounding to me how few defects we witness...

Put in perspective... think back to who you know - who regularly self-loads and seems to always drop light or not at all on-the-line - and they are pulling the handle, pressing a button or stepping on the pedal one-at-a-time.

regards all,

Jay

15. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    I shot 25 pr of doubles yesterday, and had a new gun club where the base was smashed down (like a sizing station with too tight a collet came down on it) The metal was crushed down to the rim. Think they are going to hear about this one from me. I usually dont whine about stuff like this, but how could QC miss that? Hmmmmmm.... Shells are too expensive for this crap! I dont care if they are Wally Farts, or not. Hope they can make it right with me.

16. Unknown1

I would expect a reply in nothing less than the same tone as your posting.

MK

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A close look at this shell will find a 20 gauge case head on a 12 gauge hull. Round was fired, and found on the ground after an SCTP shoot. Factory loads MUST be used by this Program, and this was indeed a factory load.

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Dead bird! However, it's odd that no one mentioned the chronic problem with hard primers in Gun Clubs.

19. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Remington Game Loads are also problems for several guns but particularly in 16 gauge in the Browning Citori Lightning 16 gauges. It is also attributed to hard primers.

DoubleAuto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.