1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem gun club shells. how bad r they?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Need2Know, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

in the midst of a shooting slump I've started to wonder if these shells are hurting my cause? I tried some Wally World Federals, some AAs, and dropped less targets.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's all in your mind. Mix up all the shells in your pouch and shoot them without looking at which is which. Bet you can't tell the difference.

Eric

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It ain't the ammo.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It probably isn't a quality of ammo issue but more likely a recoil issue. Are you feeling sore after shooting a round or is your cheek getting bruised?

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

They work, reload as good,if not better than any other Remington hull. The shot,is most likely not magnum. They're just fine for singles, short caps & first shot of singles. I like 8/1/2 shot for singles , that is why I use STS or my my own loads.

Phil Berkowitz

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have been shooting my best scores lately in sporting tournaments using the 20 dollar 4 packs of Federals in no. 8's.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its not the shells, probably not the gun, so maybe its the weather or just maybe the one pointing the gun ..? It appears that when you change shells you probably consentrate more and it make a difference ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

only been shooting trap for about 6 months and recently went from only dropping 2-3 to 5-6 targets/round. bought 4 flats of gun club 1 1/8, #8, 1145 fps......don't notice that they kick all that much. the AAs I tried kicked more, but I only dropped a couple of targets with them.

and I am aware of a few issues I'm dealing with as a shooter, just wondered if these shells were further complicating things or hindering my efforts?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I don't think I've ever experienced this, I know a lot of shooters who say that different brands of shells shoot to different points of impact. Perhaps a visit to a 35-yard patterning board with five of each shell would be a good idea.

Ed

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have had good experience with rem gun club shells. I also reload them, you don't get as many reloads out of them but they work. If your shooting factory ammo and going through a slump it's most likely not the shells. You can use it for an excuse though, I think it's number 27, "Damn shells are no good".

Joe

11. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Your question should be, how good are they? Because of my physical condition, I can no longer shoot the K-80. It's mandated I shoot a semi. My Classic handles the earlier Gun Clubs, better than the steel based ones. By better, I don't mean the older ones break more targets.I do mean, the steel based empties are NOT handled as well as the brass based ones.
    Bill Parker, I hope you have read this. Pass my great big,"Hang in There",to our buddy,Rick Johnson.
    JOE JORDAN

12. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

You wanna know how bad Remington Gun Club shells are?

Chris Vendel shoots gun clubs or STS reloads/new for his singles. I just went back and looked at his program scores all the way back to May.

Gun clubs suck so bad that Chris has dropped a whopping FIVE singles targets (non shoot off) out of his last 2500!!!

At the NYS shoot this past week, he dropped one bird in singles in some tough conditions. He went 100, 100, 199, 200.

It ain't the shells, my friend.

Walker

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Our high school trap teams shot thousands of gun clubs exclusively this year and had no issues whatsoever with them. No miss fires and even a few 25's and 50's broke. I would look elsewhere for the problem. We all have problems from time to time. I am 3 targets behind my lifetime average this year and don't know why either. Old I guess.

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Need2Know

Gut a couple open and make sure they have the right size shot in them. I still have a few in a new box Remingtons that has 5's or 6's in them when the box and the each shells reads 8's. Bigger shot makes the pattern real thin when your talking about low charge weights like 1oz. or 7/8oz.

15. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

boy, did I word that question poorly or what. Should have just asked for opinions of gun clubs. my mistake.

just wanted to make sure these shells weren't a possible contributing factor to my woes. still new at this and trying to eliminate variables.

thanks all.

16. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Need2Know

I understood your question OK. I had the same problem with cheaper priced Remington shells, so I cut a few open and they have 5's or 6's in them. It makes the pattern thin and my scores went down considerably.

17. slick50

slick50 Member

I have had the same experience you have had with Gun Clubs. I'm not sure what it is speed, components, wad? But I consistantly dropped targets with gun clubs. way more than I ever did with my reloads. I bought a bunch of Gun Clubs at Dicks on sale to try to lighten my reloading time. I disliked them so much I sold them all cheap just to get rid of them. I will never by them again. I had much better results from Estates. This is just my experience.

18. Need2Know

Need2Know TS Member

What do you guys think of Rio's?

19. BMC

BMC Member

Need2Know, you are probably experiencing what some of us have experienced. Like some have noted, I too have had a not so pleasureable experience with the gun clubs. I am not sure why either. I like to believe that maybe it just my guns don't like them. Maybe its an issue with my guns and my full chokes. Not sure. But there is clearly a difference when I have used them versus using my usual Federals. They work okay, but in a 100 bird stretch I'll get 5-6 targets that were clearly painted and didn't break, some breaks are weak too. It leaves me with that WTF just happened? I might only drop one or two in a 100 target stretch with my usual Federals, but when I used the Gun Clubs, it was just frustrating to see what should have been a puff ball go down as a lost target. I have numerous friends, most of which are really good shooters who have no problem with them, or say they have no problem with them. They do use different guns than I do. The Federals are just way more consistent for me.

20. CCA

CCA Member

I have my doubts about remington gun club shells. They seem to shoot nice and soft, with good patterns. But on the other hand I did miss one out of 1500 singles using them. Maybe I would have done better shooting something else.
    JK
    Chris Vendel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much are shells at the trap club