1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Gun Club hulls- brass or steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What's the going price of remington gun club hulls. Have some that I think are brass & others that are steel. Thanks

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

All the GC hulls are steel. Some are brass-washed, but they're steel, too.

2 - 2½¢ seems to be the going rate, most places.

Bob

3. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

Just bought 3000 for a penny a piece

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Best value out there. HMB

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Doug, some of the very early GC's were brass. Get your magnet out and check.

Steve

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

LATELY I HAVE FOUND ALL THE "9'S" TO BE BRASS PLATED BUT NOT THE LARGER SHOT SIZES. I GUESS IF YOU ARE SHOOTING AN OVER/UNDER THE BRASS PLATED ONES MAY BE EASIER ON THE RECEIVER?

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"I GUESS IF YOU ARE SHOOTING AN OVER/UNDER THE BRASS PLATED ONES MAY BE EASIER ON THE RECEIVER?"</blockquote>The brass wash was a marketing maneuver to associate Gun Clubs with STS shells (quality, and all that stuff). The older "brass" bases were also a heavier gauge steel. When the steel got thinner the brass disappeared, too. They effect receivers the same way.

Keller

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I had some of the very first GCs that were brass but they switched to steel after just a little while, haven't seen anything but steel plated with brass or zinc for several years. They load just like (and as long) as STSs, GCs do have a tendency to swell and stick in some chambers But I use a Mec 77 super sizer and don't have any problem, I think the brass is more resilient than the steel. Ross

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Unknown. Handle as many receivers as I do and you will change your tune. Brass bases are much easier on a receiver.

i was given a cache of the older green Pre STS hulls, specifically they had the "Remington-Peters" at the bottom of the case. They load nice, but a get a snap/pop from somewhere at the bottom of the cycle on the 9000E. The sound normally associated with the knock out of a stuck primer.

Unknown, I am not a purist about cheap steel based hulls, rather I will load those for dubs and let them fly.

10. Unknown1

<blockquote>"Handle as many receivers as I do and you will change your tune. Brass bases are much easier on a receiver."</blockquote>No argument about that but we're not comparing brass vs steel bases; the poster is asking about steel bases vs the same steel bases with a few microns of brass coloring on them.<blockquote><I>"...the brass plated ones may be easier on the receiver?"</I></blockquote> No difference there.

Keller

11. 3357

3357 Member

up for BeBop's ??

12. JACK

Unknown. Sorry.I missed that. I agree.

13. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Remington has some 20 shells per box which look like brass but are steel ,they were 7/8 8's 3 dram.

Craby

14. JACK

Bee. Primarily the primer is more rigid in the steel based hull and tends to indent the primer spot around the firing pin hole. And too, that rigidity promotes more pressure on the pin and it creates the egg effect yo see. And the pin itself tends to become thin (er)and more sabre like.

Brass base allows the steel primer to move the direction it wants to go and lessens the pressures.

I do not have a receiver with this problem right now. But I do have one without the problem. I'll pic that later.

BB. Lotta guys pop-poo this theory. Adn if you are only shooting a couple thou a year, likely little change will ocurr. But take that to 15,000 a year and the wear is evident.

15. JACK

This is a ca. 90s receiver. Brass on this. Can I prove it? No. But what do you think? brass or very nominal qty steel based hulls?
    [​IMG]

16. Unknown1

MIA...

What you say makes some sense, but looking at fired hulls I notice that all the flanges of all the primers are dead FLAT between the primer cup and the base metal whether the base is steel or brass. They were NOT in that condition before the shell was fired.

That leads me to believe that the primer is being driven back into the receiver face by the pressure created by the ignition of the powder (10,000 psi more or less) while the hull base impacts the receiver face wsith only the force of recoil (around 12 lbs for a trap load if I remember).

To me that means that any erosion or indenting of the receiver face due to primer contact is going to occur to the same extent regardless of whether the shell base is brass or steel.

Keller

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Only brass bases for this cat. Only because my re-loader seams to re size them easier,

18. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Doug you are down to selling gun club hulls thats a shame, you need to carefull after that car threw a pepsi can out you were fighting with the girlscouts about who was to get it, I heard you about got hit by another car coming down the road. Be careful Stan

19. max trap

max trap Member

I've heard it's gotten so bad that Doug is driving a old wore out toyota Rav 4.
    Really sad ! Told me he was looking at shooting a plain barrel Remington 1100.
    Damn shame !!

20. JACK

I will reload some cheapos fo dubs. But 1000 a year will not show wear on a receiver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.