1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Gameloads at Bass Pro Shops

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JoeBerg, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Oh, BTW, this offer is applies to the Memphis TN store - JoeBerg

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I began shooting trap, over 30 years ago, one of the first bits of advice I was given was to avoid "promo" loads. These were the 1 oz. - 3 1/4 dram loads. Some of the better shooters called them "donut loads" as the shot was soft and the speed so high that a hole would develop in the middle of the pattern.

Now, due to their low cost, they seem to be back in favor.

Are these loads decent for 16 yards or short handicap or are they simply practice shells?

3. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

"Are these loads decent for 16 yards or short handicap or are they simply practice shells?"

yes, yes & yes

My XT hits the targets hard with low recoil when I shoot these. And I'm nowhere near Memphis, but I figured if anyone was within driving distance, you can't beat that price - JoeBerg

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I have a question. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back when AA and STS's were $4.00 a box, what did these "game loads" cost. $3.00?

If they were such a good shell back then, why didn't EVERYBODY shoot them. Why did people pay $4.00 a box for AA's when you could save money and get the promo for how much?, I don't even remember what the cheap things cost then. It couldn't have been a LOT less could it? Was $2.99 the regular price of this promo stuff a few years ago?

Bottom line, as the good stuff goes up, the cheap crap starts to look pretty good. OH, they are OK for a round of "sporting" or goofing off when you take the brother-in-law("what caliber is this gun?") up to the club, but me thinks you don't want to bet any money on how they perform when it counts. Like every Sunday.

You guys that shoot them, more power to ya. I just got a chuckle out of how all of a sudden the box with the rabbit on it is now just fine for targets. Hey, I'm in the same boat. I have about 25 bags of shot left. When that is gone it's gone. I'll take the grandkids fishing. That is one of the reasons I took a ride to Camp Perry on the 28th of July. Now when I look at the MX8 in the safe there is a service grade M1 Garand standing next to it. Something new to play with.

I'll still go to the flyer shoots though. Two boxex of shells, 25 birds, 200 shooters. I like my odds there better.

AJ100

5. richrob

richrob TS Member

dicks matched the price for me. i bought 9 flats, at $2.88, plus dicks 10% of 10 or more boxes, plus 5 $10 off $50 coupons, paid $2.22 a box.

oh and 4 of the flats were gun clubs, and 2 were 16 ga., and they matched the price anyways.

the manager checked me out and asked if he could have the bass pro flyer so he could buy some when he got off. i said sure i got another on, but i bought all the 12 ga you have.

they said they are getting another truck thursday and friday and they will honor the price then as well.

-Rich

6. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

AJ100 Wrote;

"Bottom line, as the good stuff goes up, the cheap crap starts to look pretty good. OH, they are OK for a round of "sporting" or goofing off when you take the brother-in-law("what caliber is this gun?") up to the club, but me thinks you don't want to bet any money on how they perform when it counts. Like every Sunday."

I have heard that the Rem Gun Club and the Game Load shells share practically the same components; if I'm wrong on this I will stand corrected. I prefer to shoot a 1 oz. shell, since (IMHO) 1 oz. is all you need for most trap target presentations, I like the reduced recoil, and I can't get the 1 oz. Gun Clubs very often. Again, IMHO, the Game Loads are fine for singles practice, and the lower cost is an added benefit. "YMMV", and that's fine by me! - JoeBerg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.