1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Game Loads - My New Favorite Cheap Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JoeBerg, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Rem Game Loads - My New Favorite Cheap Shell

So I'm at Dicks Sporting Goods last week and the guy in the hunting & fishing dept. tells me they won't be offering the Rem Gun Clubs on sale until after after the Sept. price increase (so then the sale price will be at least 15% higher). So for the first time I bought a few boxes of those 1 oz. Rem Game Loads with the 7-1/2 shot to try out this past Saturday, and I really like these cheap shells for practice!

Anybody else shooting these? - JoeBerg

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

They are great $4.14 box of shells at Wally World ... how much at Dick's.

BTW ... I noticed last week at Gender Mountain that Federals equivalent to those game loads were only $3.99 a box ... how much were they at Dick's?

3. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I think they were $4.49/ box at Dick's; I bought all they had from Wally's for $4.14/ box on Sat. after I got done shooting. I really like these shells!

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Are these the 1 ounce loads at 1290 fps? If so, I shot these at a sporting clays event once, and did quite well.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes ... they are the 1290fps 1oz loads ... looks like the gun club shell as well.

Has anyone recently seen any new gun club loads out there? They say there still in production but I have yet to see any boxes of them for a couple of months now but I am beginning to see a boatload of game loads out there ... maybe they are now making game loads for upcoming dove season instead of gun clubs.

Dont forget to check out Gender Mountain for the Federal version and keep your ear to the ground before dove season ... I would expect a couple of sales on the game loads at the beginning of dove season ... but I might be wrong as well.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The local Mao Mart sucks for shells now. They only put out a couple of boxes, and are too lazy to get more from the back room. Mao Mart has emaciated their sporting goods dept.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I was turned on to the Remington 1oz 7 1/2 Game Loads last year by a fellow trapshooter.
    They bust targets just fine for me.....out to about the 22yd line.

They probably would do just as good at the 27, but I don't quite have the confidence in them that I have in 1 1/8oz of hard STS shot..... :)

8. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I hate buying shells at Wally's, but the local independant gun shop where I've been getting the 1 oz 3 Dram (1235 fps)Estates (Product Code #SS12H1)at $4.49 / box is running out of them and tells me they probably won't get more of these until after the Sept. price increase. Also, they won't tell me how much they are going up in Sept., and they won't take an order for several flats at the old price. For the time being I can get the 1 oz 2-3/4 Dram (1180 fps) Estates (Product Code #SS12L1) at the club, I shot a round with these on Sat., but I like the 3 Dram loads a lot better.- JoeBerg

9. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Rem game loads are almost all I've shot for the past 18 months. I've opened some of them up, and they have nice uniform round shot. Winchester universals and Federal target/game work okay too, but the shot in them is not as round or as uniform.

Local WalMart here has started stocking up for dove seasn and has piles of flats @ $41.40. At today's lead prices I think that's a bargain. I'm trying to fill the garage.

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Do you prefer 7-1/2's or 8's in these 1-oz loads? or is it a "macht nichts"? - JoeBerg

11. BMC

BMC Member

Ah, another believer Joe! I buy the Fed Game Shok 1oz usually 20 cases at a time. My son and I both shoot them. I shoot them for singles, caps and doubles, same shell all the time. They work magnificent from the 27 just as they do from the 16. I've gotten several hard core registered shooters addicted to them in the last six months. Soft shooting and super fast. They work better than most shells I've shot, including my reloads which are getting close to being as good.

12. 3200

3200 TS Member

"These shells are very popular with the skeet shooters at our local club. I pickup hundreds of these for reloading and only about 20% are on trap fields, with about 80% on the skeet fields.

These hulls are exactly the same hull as a Gun Club, just black in color."

The reason you see all those hulls on the ground on the skket fields, is 'cause all them skeeters are shooting 12ga autos . . . . or the guys visiting the skeet ranges are shootin' skeet in prep for bird season.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yeah it aint that skeet shooters also worry about shell prices and good bang for the buck shells but its because there shooting autos and there getting ready for birdy season ... yep ... that sure sounds like intelligence agreeing with intelligence. ;-)))

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Do you prefer 7-1/2's or 8's in these 1-oz loads? or is it a "macht nichts"?"

I prefer 8s because I like the extra pattern density, and I think 8s will break every target, but sometimes I have to settle for 7.5s The truth is, I don't know which is better, and in the end I doubt I've ever lost a target due to the load.

I had a friend who absolutely insisted that 8.5s were the ONLY load to shoot. He missed targets too.

15. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

jnoemanh;

I can't discern a d@mn bit of difference in the patterns between the 7-1/2 and 8 shot size in any of the 1-1/8 oz. / 3 dram loads I've used, and I don't yet have enough experience with 1 oz. loads to figure out if there is any difference; I'll compare the two this week, but I'd be surprised if it made an appreciable difference. - JoeBerg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.