1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem Clone Wads, STS K80 once fired Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bought a new PW 800+. Been very happy wiht it. Until recently. This is the unit using real Rem components with older hulls.

[​IMG]

Had been useing Rem fig 8 and Tgt 12 wads and swithched to Claybuster Equiv. Now the wad wants to hang up on the edge of the hull and is difficult to get past that. Even bunging up a few hull crimp tops. Fingers seem fine and worked fine with real Remington wads... Wassup?

And too, on the up stroke the brass of the STS once fireds seem to be not wanting seat as well (or as easy) as my multi-fired STS gold and green hulls. MOst of which were shot in other than K80 guns and originally reloaded via a Grabber.

I am not imagining the difficulty caused by the changes. But have you guys encountered this before adn if so, how do I counteract this problem? (s)

It kinda seems that going cheap on components has cost me more.

Tahnks. jack

2. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Jack, was that Menards bag hanging there before when things were going good or has it been hanging there all the time.

In my uneducated thoughts I was thinking that maybe if that bag was not there before but it is now that possibly that bird on the bag is giving the PW 800+ the freakiejeebies and that might be the reason why it aint performing flawlessly but then once again this is just my uneducated thoughts on the subject.

3. JACK

It's been there for months. You are starting to sound like my wife.

4. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Jack ... thanks for the compliment but I think I might be a little better looking unless of course she is ... well ... maybe I might not be either.

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I've been using the Downrange DRRT Remington TGT-12 clone wad in my 800+, and they go through the machine like butter. One of the first things I did when my machine came is to get rid of that stupid plastic powder/shot hopper set-up with its plastic top plate. I found one of the tall metal top plates that uses the original tubes and lets you change the bushings without emptying the tubes first, and never looked back. My plastic hopper lid kept falling off, and the top plate had a slight warp to it from the get-go. .....Rick

6. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

MIA, By the looks of that machine, you have`nt loaded a lot of shells on a or that PW.
    I`ve got four of them, & each one of them has its own quirks. When I run into things like your going through on one of mine, I start over from scratch.I start at the first station & make the adjustments on every station that need it. I re-check the drops, wad pressure, crimps, everything... They`re great machines when they work, but are very unforgiving when out of adjustment. Bob

7. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I am an 800 plus sts loader and for years have used all remington fig 8 wads. I tried claybusters but for me they were "hard" loading like they didn't want to slide in the hulls very well, lots of nicks from the top of the hull. I went back to fig 8 no problem. I have since tried the economy downrange fig 8 and they load beautiful on it I will be getting more of them. With regard to the once fired I can't really say I think the once fired hulls may load a little harder on mine, but not extremely noticeable. Maybe the chamber on K-80's are plenty big?? Never had the pleasure of the K guns. My reloads are shot on BPS, 870's, 1100's, citori, 101, benelli's. All feed fine and size fine afterwards. Hopefully this helps a little

Nick

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Jack, I have an original P-W 800C and have used Claybuster clones for Federal, AA, and Rem almost exclusively with no problems. I can't tell from the photo if you have a threaded rod at the wad station. If you do try turning the rod down, clockwise and see if this helps. When I was loading Rem Premier hulls I had to do that to eliminate a loud snap when the wad entered the mouth of the hull and it cured the problem and had no detrimental effect when loading the other brands of hulls and wads. As far as seating new STS hulls I have no idea why they would be more difficult except for being fired in a gun with an expanded/oversize chamber. Jim

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't use Claybuster wads. They snap, crackle, pop when I tried to use them in the past.

The Downrange products work great.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tim, my experience is the same - Downrange wads work! Hope I don't embarrass myself again tonight - last week was awful. Best Regards, Ed

11. JACK

you guys can tell that my knowledge is less than my logic. Now, is what to do about it. Stay tuned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.