1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem chokes 1100 1187 interchangable?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Sep 7, 2013.

1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I have a Rem 1100, all original and a Rem 1187, all original. Both 12 ga. Are the choke tubes interchangeable for both guns?

2. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Rem Chokes are the same unless it is a Pro Bore choke set up.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rem Chokes for the 870, 1100 and 1187 are physically interchangeable.

Be aware that there were special Rem Chokes made specifically for the factory step rib backbored trap barrels. These are Rem Chokes but are labelled as Trap Full, Trap Extra Full and Trap Super Full. These take into account that the barrel already has a restriction of .018" (.745" minus .727"). It will not cause harm to install these chokes into a regular barrel, but the resulting choke will be .018" more open than its spec. If you put a very tight choke into one of these trap barrels, it will be .018" tighter than its spec.

The Pro-Bore chokes are for the factory overbored Pro-Bore barrels. These are special 1100 models. They will not physically interchange with Rem Chokes. Pro-Bore chokes are larger in diameter.

I might as well toss this out too. There are CUSTOM MADE AFTERMARKET Rem chokes are intended to be used for a specific barrel. For example, Remington barrels vary from approximately .727" to .729", and a few even exceed these specs in either direction. Some owners will want a specific amount of choke, so they will specify .036" restriction for a .729" barrel, which will have .002" more restriction than a .036" choke for a .727" barrel. Whether .002" makes a big difference is debatable, but nevertheless custom choke makers will fill this market niche. When buying custom chokes find out what the inside skirt diameter is. If it is smaller than your barrel diameter at the skirt seating point, you'll risk blowing the choke out of the barrel, which can strip the threads.

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

There are also trap Remchokes labeled Singles, Mid Handicap, and Long Handicap, and these are for the standard bore (.0727)Trap guns. Remchokes are threaded at the receiver end, ProBore chokes for Remingtons are threaded at the muzzle end.
    Mark

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

What about a choke tube labeled .027? It is a Remington tube obtained directly from the Remington gunsmith desk at the Grand? I was given it when I had my 11-87 there. The other tubes for the 11-87 are labelled Full, Extra Full and Super Full so it would seem that the barrel is indeed one of the back bored style barrels and the difference in "push" needed when running a patch through it is much less than my straight bored 1100 trap gun. That again would confirm it to be a backbored barrel.

6. Brian in Oregon

Sportshot, quote: <i>"I have an overbored 870 stepped target barrel. It is .742 but constricts to .727 in the last inch before the choke threads even begin. I am thinking that in effect, it has a modified choke built in without even installing a Rem choke.

Would this be true?

This was a surprise to me, I thought it would be .742 right out to the threads."</i>

Correct, your barrel has a built in constriction of .015", which is a light modified to a modified. That means even if you were to screw in a cylinder or skeet choke with no restriction, like .000", you would still pattern light modified or modified.

I even tried a spreader choke and could not get the pattern to open up in my factory backbored barrel. This made it useless for sporting clays for presentations best shot with a more open choke. So I use a different barrel for sporting clays and use the trap barrel only for trap.

7. Brian in Oregon

pyrdek, quote: <i>"What about a choke tube labeled .027? It is a Remington tube obtained directly from the Remington gunsmith desk at the Grand? I was given it when I had my 11-87 there. The other tubes for the 11-87 are labelled Full, Extra Full and Super Full so it would seem that the barrel is indeed one of the back bored style barrels and the difference in "push" needed when running a patch through it is much less than my straight bored 1100 trap gun. That again would confirm it to be a backbored barrel."</i>

Let's look at the chokes for the factory backbored barrel. These are the actual measurements of my choke set.

Keep in mind that the overbored part of this barrel is .745" and it reduces to .727" ahead of the choke tube, giving a built in constriction of .018".

Trap Super Full .690". If you take .745" and subtract .690", that equals .055".

Trap Extra Full .709". So .745" - .709" = .036".

Trap Full .732". It should be .745" - .732" = .013".

Now take your choke of .027".

.727" minus .027" gives a choke diameter of .700".

.745" minus .700" = .045".

Also, built in constriction of .018" + .027" = .045".

So if you use that .027" choke in your factory backbored trap barrel, it winds up being between the Trap Extra Full and the Trap Super Full. It's giving you another option for pattern.

Note that the Trap Extra Full of .036" is the same total constriction as a normal Full. So why does Rem call it an Extra Full? Keep in mind that the backbored barrel is constricting the shot more gently than the .727" barrel, giving less shot distortion. And this also puts more pellets into the center of the pattern, giving a denser core pattern. This can be verified when comparing this barrel to a normal barrel with a .036" Full shooting the same shot. In fact, when using cheap soft shot like in the promo loads, I'm getting patterns that are very close in quality to premium shot from a regular .727" barrel with a .036" Full choke.

8. Brian in Oregon

Because it costs more money. That's why the back bored step rib barrels cost more, though the cost was hidden in the price of the gun. Also, for a while Remington offered Light Contour barrels for the 870 and 1187, and they cannot be backbored due to wall thickness (though they can have their forcing cones lengthened).

IIRC aren't the Money Maker barrels overbored as well?

Mossberg has overbored field barrels on their 3.5" guns. For example, the barrels on their 835 pump are opened up close to 10ga specs, .775" actually. Mossberg says they did this to help reduce recoil. But it should help patterning as well. These guns cost more than their 3" model 500 counterparts, but they also include porting as well.

As an aside, I've wondered if the Mossberg 835 might make a cheap backup trap gun. The barrel is a bit short at 28", but it is overbored and ported. There is an optional stock that has a replaceable comb insert for a higher comb. They have inserts to change the pitch of the stock.

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Brian,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I now know why my 7/8 oz 1150 (or so) FPS loads break the targets like they were hit with a full power 1 1/8 oz. 3 DRe. Load. I shoot quite quickly and the breaks are most impressive when I center the bird. Of course the losses are equally impressive when I don't center the bird. :-(

Search tags for this page
1187 chokes interchangeable with 870
are chokes for remington 1100 and 1187 the same

are rem chokes interchangeable

choke dfor remington 1100 1187
interchangeable choke tubes for rem 1100 trap model
rem chocks for 1100
thread for 1187 choke
what chokes interchange with remington 1100 choke