1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 97 primers ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Jul 4, 2013.

1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I came across 15,000 97 Rem. primers Stamped (209) on the box, are they ok to load in a STS or Nitro hull ? Using the recipe for Win 209 primers?

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If they are Remington 97* primers reloading manuals say they are interchangble with Remington Premier 209P primers

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Find a old Lyman shotshell reloading manual(#2 or 3) and you'll find loads for the old Remington primers

Lucky you if you got them cheap. Just used up my last 100 of the 97's I had a couple of months ago.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I found the information regarding being interchangable on page 15 in the 2009 Alliant manual, so current loads they published using Rem 209P primers should be good to use with the Rem 97* primers if they have been stored properly.

5. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

no good, send to me, I will pay shipping and I will properly dispose of.

6. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

97's are the same as 209's. 57's are smaller and only fit old Remingtion hulls from back in the early 80's or before even before RXP's.

7. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

One thing to be careful of with the 97* primer. The flash hole is uncovered. Don't use these with a very fine ball powder as the powder will sift down into the primer itself and possibly cause a blow out!

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

They work fine in place of the 209s and are the same diameter. But as Terry stated above, use caution with fine ball powders as the flash hole is not covered!

Search tags for this page

remington 97 primiers