1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 870 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LOWGUN, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

I have an 870 AA. Does anyone know if it has a standard or light contour barrel. Was thinking about getting a 26" skeet barrel to fool around alittle. Mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If by "AA" you mean it is an All-American grade 870 trap model, it would not have a light contour barrel as that barrel was not made back then.

Ed

3. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Thanks Ed. Now I have to find a skeet barrel. Mike

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The All American 870's had a badge on the left side of the receiver, upgraded wood and engraving on the receiver and barrel. Other than that, the barrels were the same weight as an 870 TA, TB or TC.

Ed Ward

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

All American has the standard Wingmaster barrel as the light contour came many years later. The light contour barrels are certainly not the best that Rem made...the older trap (or field barrels) from the 1960's-mid 1990's (including the target barrels and stamped as such) were the best. If a 870 comes from factory with light contour, you need to remove some forend wood to use the older style (fuller) barrels and the light contours will fit the non contour receivers without alteration.

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Wrong flincher...the light contour barrel came out about 1993 or so. They (Rem) actually first produced a "heavy contour" barrel to accommodate the choke tubes, but quickly realized customers hated the thicker muzzle, especially the target shooters who quickly found out the added weight up front changed the balance. Somewhere I have an old Outdoor Life magazine where Remington is touting that the light contour is saving close to a pound of weight. It took Remington many years to produce a contour barrel that was concentric and would have a correct POI. Many Rem shooters were returning barrels that had off center tubes. Not a fan of the contour barrel.

7. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

Mike:

I have a 26 inch skeet bbl for your 870. Probably has had 1000-1500 rounds through it. I bought it new. It's still in the box. $100 + shipping. Milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 870 trap

rem 870 wingmaster light contour review