1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 870 tb question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grouse 1970, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

can some please explain the TB on a 870 rem pump shot gun and is this a trap gun or a field gun or both?

2. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Trap gun B grade wood TA TB TC and others and cost goes up and wood is beautiful and that is just part of them. Ken U Some are ingraved also

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I was a long time Remington 870 collector. Remington in the 60's and 70's had some fantastic wood at times on TB's and TC trap guns. The nicest wood for B grade was known as "orange crate wood, as it had some orange tint in the wood. Remington sometimes put D grade wood on a TB and Tc if there was a little flaw in the wood that most shooters never even noticed.

Years ago rem 870 tb, stood for trap with b grade wood. tc stood for trap with c grade wood. tc trap wood has a slimmer pistol grip to reduced the weight of the better figured wood. When the price of 870 trap guns started to get a little pricey, rem came out with the ta model trap gun with plan jane wood. these guns shoot basically the same. when you see a rem trap gun made in the 50's early 60's the rib will be a little different. the chokes are longer and these guns tend to shoot a little higher. when rem came out with the competition models, they redesigned the dimensions of the stocks. they made the straight stock, meaning non monte carlo, higher than the monte carlo stock. when rem was starting to get ready to produce their barrels with choke tubes, they first came out with a thicker barrel in the choke area without choke tubes. these guns come with a bigger bore and a dime will fall through the barrel. these are still full choke. if you can ever get this barrel, no other 870 barrel compares to this particular barrel. i don't know what rem was thinking when they came out with their choke tubes? the choke designation did not conform to the standard industries diminsions, as full, im, m, etc. most people including myself feel rem made a very poor choke tube. most people i know switched from rem tubes to another brand. i have owned every 870 made in trap except for the F grade.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.