1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REM 870 shell stuck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I have a shell (it's been shot) stuck in my REM 870 (see picture). I can't get the shell to eject. Does anyone know how to get the shell to eject or how to unlock the action?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTION. YOUR RESULT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY: Hold down on the receiver with the release lever depressed with one hand. Grab the forearm at the same time and hit, stock down on a solid but padded surface. If it has a recoil pad you wont need to pad the solid surface. Start hitting lightly, increasing force until the empty shell comes out.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I agree with what Barry said.

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I would suggest a gentler approach to start with. Get a sturdy tube or solid piece of dowel rod with some strength to it that is about 6 to 8 inches longer than the barrel. Put the rod on the floor or other suitable solid surface and put the barrel down over it. Hold the slide release down and start pushing down on the shotgun. Keep applying more pressure until the slide releases and the shell ejects. If needed have someone assist by gripping the forearm and pulling back on it while you push down. No beating and banging to start with might be the way to go in this instance.

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

what brand of shells are you using,that model of 870 does not like the cheep brands with steel bases.

6. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Remove magazine cap and take off barrel. Then punch out empty with a cleaning rod or dowel. Hope this helps.George

7. glenns

glenns Member

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions when I get home.

vdt: brand of shells - I use the red AA's.

George: I tried taking the barrel off but can't since it looks like the action is locked.

8. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

sure is a funny lookin bolt....or is that the way they are now made??none of the 870s have look like the 1 pictured

9. glenns

glenns Member

I tried removing the trigger unit but it won't pop out after removing the bolts.

10. 870aa

870aa TS Member

Use the dowel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and resize your shells.

11. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Bolt is different b/c its a Super Mag.

Use the dowel.

After you get the shell out, polish the chamber. The Express's are notorious for rough chambers.

12. 3357

3357 Member

As advised, use the dowel while holding the bolt release lever. Also as advised polish the chamber (and any burrs around the locking bolt recess in the barrell extension). I have an 870 express that did this with winchester, remington, federal and fiocchi "steel based" hulls but would digest any brass based hull just fine. After the polish job all shells work except the 1oz winchester "super speed". The chamber on my barrell was very rough to say the least.

13. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

thanks Eric...I did not know it was a 3 inch

14. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

With that gap between the bolt and barrel I don't think it's locked although I may be wrong.I was one other time. Have someone hold the gun and give the barrel a jerk.George

15. glenns

glenns Member

I did hit the recoil pad against a padded carpet in the basement. Tried to eject the shell and it worked.

Thanks for the advice.

What do you polish the chamber with?

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you are real careful a wheel cylinder hone will work very nicely. Use some cutting fluid and don't crash the hone into the ridge where the forcing cone starts. Clean and check fit often!

ss

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Glenns

Where do you live?

18. glenns

glenns Member

Spokane, WA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shell gets stuck in 870 express