1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REM 870 NEW no cap detent ball

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nsrailroad, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Putting a new barrel on a old 870 I noticed the barrel has no detent ball for the cap. Will these new barrels work or is a different cap needed. Think remington wouldn't fix something not broke???Do not like the new cap styles?
    TNX
    NEAL

2. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I also understand from remenington newer 1993 870's can't be fitted with magazine extensions? Is their away around this?? I think that remington is trying to reinvent the gun again. How dissappointed I been with the newer REM guns.
    TNX AGAIN
    NEAL
    RAIROAD

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Newer 870's are using the 1187 style magazine tube and forend cap. This uses an internal cap that engages teeth inside the mag tube cap. The internal cap is held in by indentations on the mag tube.<br>
    <br>
    These indentation prevent adding an extended magazine. However, it is possible to cut those indentations out, and install an extended tube. The cap would have to be held on with a compressed o-ring. This has been done by 1187 shooters making tactical conversions.

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

TX I am going to put a ext on the magum permantly. Why cound'nt one drill a hole in the barrel ring and press in a ball like the factory old modell barrel's.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can do that. All it is is a detent ball and spring. However, the metal is formed around the ball to keep it in place. This requires a special striking tool, which, as you might imagine, Brownells sells. I don't know the size of the hole - never had to make one. The o-ring trick is far easier, and most defense/tactical conversions like this use a barrel to mag tube clamp anyway, which helps keep the assembly from working loose.<br.
    <br>
    BTW, before railing against Remington, you do know they sell 870's, 1100's and 1187's with factory made and installed extension tubes?

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Oh yes but ,this NOS new magnum in the box was a steal. I wanted a 28 barrel for my tb trap and a black magnum receiver to build a combat gun. That's why I went this route. Already have the combat barrel.
    THANKS ALL THE HELP.
    RAILROAD
    NEAL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 trap barrel with detent

how to remove the magazine cap detent on a remington 870