1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 870 Maintenance??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bgf, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgf

bgf Active Member

I just got my first 870...I am a SBT type guy. I would like some thoughts on cleaning and maintenance.

How often does one need to throughly clean the gun? 100, 200, 400 rounds.

How complete should I clean it? Break it all the way down?

What parts should I keep an eye on?

I want to keep it running like new.

Thanks in advance...

Bernie

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't know how many shells you shoot a month- factory-reloads-etc. but 870s usually don't require anything more than keeping the bbl free of plastic or lead build-up & a good wipe down, bore and outside, with oil after shooting. Maybe a couple times a year drop the trigger assembly, flush it out blow dry & re-oil--pull the bolt out clean it & the inside of the receiver & re-oil it also, don't over oil just enough to protect & lubricate it.

As far as parts????? I've replaced 1 firing pin (for a friend) in about 45 years, they just don't seem to give much trouble. A couple years ago Remington passed the 10 million mark with the 870.

Have another friend that put 100,000+ shells through his 870 TC, before he sent it back to Rem. for a "tune-up". Ross Puls

3. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

I'm with Ross on this. My first trap gun was a 150 yr anniversary model(1966) TC, wish I still had it.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Find a friend who shoots an 1100. You'll need to do a full cleaning of your 870 when he does his for the 100th time.

-Gary :p

5. bgf

bgf Active Member

Thanks guys...That is what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Bernie

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bernie:
    I have shot 870's since 1970. Since that time I have had to replace the spring that goes around the firing pin, that's it.

870's are a tough reliable gun, but any thing mechcanical breaks down at times. Don't go crazy cleaning the gun as most shooters wear out parts taking them out and putting them back in the gun more than shooting them.

After every time you use the gun wipe it down. Should your gun ever get caught in the rain, take it completely a part, clean and oil it down, and don't put it back together as it can rust. Also dry out your gun case. A week later put the gun back together.

I learned the hard way, as I cleaned my gun and oiled it right after being caught in the rain and put it together and then placed it in a gun case. One week later, the receiver and barrel was full of rust.

You have one of the greatest pump guns ever made, next to a model 12. Both guns have their place in trapshooting history.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

7. drgondog

drgondog Member

I personally don't think the 870 takes a back seat to any weapon for simplicity, ease of maintenance and reliabilty.

I have maybe 30 different firearms. If I could only keep one it would be my 870 w/screw in chokes, 26" barrel and parkerized...

All the advice about cleaning is good. I drop the trigger after about 10 cases of reloads, soak it in kerosene and clean out the inside of the receiver, as well as soak the block - then air blow dry..

I have one that I have had since 1963 and replaced one firing pin/spring in 50 years.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have shot 870's since about 1965 including an 870 TA that has been shot probably over 100,000 times. The above advice on cleaning is accurate.

I carry an extra firing pin and firing pin spring in my shooting bag along with a punch to knock out the firing pin retaining pin.

Sometimes the retaining nut that holds on the fore end wood needs tightening. A special wrench form this purpose costs about $40 from Brownells. I use flat piece of metal cut to fill the gap between screw slots and held by a locking grip pliers.

Also, I used to shoot steel headed ammo and experienced difficult extraction. I quit using steel headed ammo after replacing two sets of action bars. I now only use new or reloaded brass headed ammo.

A 4 or 6 oz. mercury recoil reducer (Edwards of Staub) placed in the stock will significantly reduce recoil and IMO improve balance. I don't know if the sloshing around of the mercury upon firing helps but the extra weight by itself does.

Except for games, I shoot 1 1/8 oz. of shot at between 1100 and 1150 fps. 100 rounds of 3 dram ammo is more than this old man cares to shoot. I don't mind shooting heavier loads in "games" matches as you don't shoot near as many times in a short period of time as in ATA.

IMO, 870 barrels, especially the older fixed full ones, really shoot tight.

I have never shot a Model 12 that felt as good in my hands as an 870 trap grade. Model 12's are great guns but I just don't like them. To me, the 870 and older model 31 Remington pumps are the superior gun.

You may want to add an adjustable comb to your stock.

Ed Ward

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

The 870 is like that "info commercial" Just set and forget it.

When the new gun you just bought breaks, get that ole 870 out, it always works and does it proud.

It is easy to have spare parts but the most valued spare part I own is my other 870, never have to use it.

Kenny U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.