1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 870 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbart1948, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Problem: I have a Remington 870 in .410 gauge. After cleaning, I am now having problems placing the bolt back into the receiver. The bolt will only go in half way.

I believe that the parts are inserted correctly and they are aligned. I have watched videos on You-Tube regarding this topic, and am still having problems.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Dave

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

As you know since you have already disassembled the gun, you have to depress the shell catch on the solid side of the receiver to remove the slide assembly.

To reassemble you have to alternatively press both shell catches. While putting some pressure on the slide assembly, press the shell catch on the ejection port side of the receiver, until you feel the slide assembly move back just a bit. Then press the the shell catch on the solid side of the receiver. The slide assembly should slide into the receiver. Sometimes you have to go back and forth between the shell catches a couple times before the slide assembly seats completely.

Michael Goines

3. setool

setool Member

Mag410 was dead on...

Been doing this w/ my 870's since 1971.

Mark Schneider

4. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Guys - Still trying to put the bolt in. Something is hanging this up preventing the bolt from going back all the way. I am sure that the trigger assembly is in place and that the hammer is not cocked.

I truly appreciate your input on this matter.

Dave

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Have you tried installing the Fore end tube assy by itself without the slide assy block and bolt?

Make sure the catch arms are in the proper position, staked in and not bent.

I really think the issue is with the shell catch arms that must be depressed to slide everything together. Sometimes it takes some finesse just as MAG410 says.

Guy Babin

6. 333t

333t Member

Remove the trigger assembly.

Install the bolt as described by mag410.

Cock the trigger and put on safe.

Install trigger assembly.

If you try to install the bolt and carrier with the trigger installed and
    fired, the bolt will hang up when it hits the hammer.

Phil

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Dave

I just played around with my .410 870 Express. I can replicate what may be the problem. The bolt sits on top of the slide assembly, which fits into notches on the arms of the fore end tube assembly. As the bolt moves fore and aft, on the slide assembly, the locking block is moved up and down. The bolt needs to be in the forward position so the locking block is in the down position. If the bolt is at the rear, the locking block is in the up position and catches on the front of the receiver.

Three hands would be handy sometimes. While alternately depressing the shell latches, you have to keep the slide assembly in position in the notches of the arms of the fore end tube assembly, while maintaining the bolt in the forward position, and pushing the whole shooting match into the receiver.

Michael Goines

8. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Mike:

Thanks for your help. Per your suggestions, I'm going to try put the bolt back into the receiver.

When I do look inside of the receiver, one of the catch arms looks like it is bent.

The ironic thing about this whole problem is that I managed to clean and put back two other Remington 870's that I have with only minor problems. Go figure.

Dave

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Dave, That ratifies the good chances your .410 has a problem and it's not you.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.