1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem,870 Cracked Receiver??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 007, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Member

I have a nice Remington 870 that has a slight crack in the receiver at the back end of the shell opening. I would like to keep the gun so here is my question. Is there a fix for this problem or are receivers available new or used for the gun. Is their a problem with shooting it as is with light trap loads? I think I read somewhere where this was a common problem so I would think there would be a fix for it.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At one time Remington would replace the receiver free of charge. Give them a call. HMB

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would not shoot the gun the way it is, but you can do whatever you want ... It can't be good ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Not really a fix for it other then replacing it. I suppose you could weld it but it would destroy the looks of the gun. I don't know how dangerous it is but I would put this turd in Remingtons pocket and see how they respond. The thing about them is you just never know. Some things they handle well and others they see no reason why they should have any responsibility. The 34" trap barrels have a habit of cracking around the gas ring. Doesn't seem to matter how many rounds are fired either. Some broke within two boxes of shells and others lasted 20 cases. They see no reason why it's their responsibility to fix them. I say it's a design flaw but they see otherwise. Jeff

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

"light trap loads" aren't light. They are near to over ten K pressure. My TB cracked in the same place after 37 years and several hundred thousand rounds. Cost me twice what I paid for the gun originally for a "donor" gun with a nice receiver of the same vintage. Franken70 gave me the best summer averages I've had in years with five fifties, a pile of 25s and a hundred in the two leagues I shoot.

I am going to write to Remington and see if they'll replace it. I wasn't too encouraged a few years ago when some trigger parts crystallized. "Send it to a Remington service center".

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

If you bought it new , you may have a chance with Remington . BUT , if they balk or you bought it used , You can relieve the stress by drilling a 1/8" dia hole at the end of the crack .

Try a couple of shells and see if the crack progresses .

Charlie

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

I know of someone who shot an 870 for years with a 1" crack in the same place...just FYI, not saying you should.

Wayne

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have an 870 TB circa 1955 or so that has been shot hundreds of thousands of times. The receiver has a small crack in the 5 o'clock position when looking at the ejection port. I asked the Remington gunsmith at the Grand this year about shooting it and he said it should be OK as the 870 locks up in the barrel at the top of the action. Other than the small crack, the receiver is tight.

The old 870 TB has a nickname "The Bullitt County Post Hole Digger" or just "The Digger" as it has been used in a lot of turkey (games) shoots in Bullitt County, Kentucky. It is 30" fixed full and absolutely smokes targets.

I asked about replacement cost and he said about $300 - $350 depending on which receiver I selected (gold anniversary model or current classic trap).

I plan to swap the receiver with a 1960's field grade 870 receiver that is on my first 870 that I used to use for hunting.

Ed Ward

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

007- You could buy a used 870 for about the same price as a new receiver. This would give you a receiver to use on your gun plus a lot of spare parts. It should not be too difficult to sell the extra 870 wood and barrel.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1148 receiver crack fix
pics of 870 remington trap guns that receiver has crackef
rem 870 with cracked receiver

remington 870 cracked receiver

remington 870 crackedreceiver
remington 870 receiver crack repair
remington 870 wingmaster stock cracked
typical remington 870 cracks at the receiver