1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Rem 870 Comp (Pleasant Surprize)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coconutjoy, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Shot my 870 Comp for the first time,it was amazing how it broke targets.Without trying to be over dramatic,I have owned K-80 AND P Guns and this gun broke targets as well or if not better than these two.Am I accurate in saying this?Any comments would be great.
  2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"If it fits, you must commit."---Johnnie Shotgun.
  3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Even Neil Winston agrees that the 870 Comps have some of the finest patterning barrels he's ever tested. I know the barrels were all hand worked at the factory and tuned for maximum performance.

ss
  4. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Now you know why they command the prices they do. And they aren't making any new ones...

Ed
  5. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

Since 870 Comps are hard to find in desirable condition at a reasonable price (..I know, I know, the market "sets" the price...) is a nice 1100 with a wire shell catcher a good alternative? I shoulda bought the 870 Comp I found at the local Cabelas a few years ago for $500. Also, are parts available if I do find one? Meanwhile, got my eye on a good TM-1 "project gun". Just asking... Best Regards, Ed
  6. bkt514

bkt514 Member

Out of Curiosity is the 870 Competition Gun still available to purchase new??
  7. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

What do they perform like from long yardage?
  8. Trap2

Trap2 Active Member

OldGoat.... Parts, especially piston parts, are nearly non-existant. The most common part required, the "O" ring, cannot be found anywhere. Hardware store "O" rings wear out easily after just a few rounds, and the higher quality commercial "O" rings are no better. I tried them all and none were as durable as the OEM rings. If parts were still available, I would still be shooting the two I owned......

bkt514: No, the 870 Comp is no longer available from Remington....

coconutjoy: The 870 Comp has what is probably the finest, factory produced, long yardage barrel ever, period. For this reason, the 870 Comp has been a strong contender in the meat shoot, Annie Oakley, protector, arenea for many years. There is nothing, in my opinion, that could possibly be done to a factory 870 Comp barrel that will improve it......

Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)
  9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I will second what Trap2 said about the long range performance of these guns. They will break targets with authority, not vaporize, at over 100 yards distance using 1 1/8 oz loads.

I'm not even sure if the lengendary Tom Wilkinson could tune those barrels in any better.
  10. Crunch

Crunch Member

I shot a 25 with my Comp tonight. It is nice to know that if I don't get on the target right away, I still have plenty of pattern after I do find the target. Crunch
  11. wproct

wproct Member

I owned one briefly some years back. Was LNIB and had nicely figured walnut stock. Pattern was terrific. I shot it well, but I am my own worst enemy. I traded it shortly for another trap gun. Can't even remember what I traded it for, but I certainly remember letting it go and have regretted it ever since. Wish I had it back.
  12. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Actually, while the triggers are interchangable with other 870s, Comp triggers were hand-tuned and marked with the technician's ID number.

Ed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.