1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 870 comp, good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cec, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

Any comments on the Rem 870 Comp. Is it good, or does it have faults? Thanks for your comments.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The biggest fault is the receiver cracking, from what I heard and seen. Also, keeping the ports clean.

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

It has one of the best patterning barrels ever made, but make sure the bore and choke have not been modified. Bores are usually in the .740+ range and choke is usually in the .036+ range. Check it with a bore gauge. Bob

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

some will say it is a great gun and some not. My experience from owning one is they do shoot a great pattern, recoil is not enough less than a reg 870 and they break ( parts are getting harder to find) so why would you want that. Pain to clean also. ( I see them coming down in price and getting a little hard to sell

5. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Pros: Great gun, Great pattern...easy to shoot and obliterates clays! Fine Handicap gun. Super Wood. Light & Smooth trigger

Cons: lack of available parts should they be needed. Threat of cracked action. Single Shot

My barrel reads .745 / .708. Factory LOP 13 5/8". 8 lb.10 oz.
    J.C.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Take care of your 870 Competition and don't feed it "game" loads and it will serve you well. I find the felt recoil to be almost as soft as that of my two 1100s.

Ed

7. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

In the spring of 1959, just after I got done serving my 24 months in the Army, I purchased a "Put-to-gather Remington 870 Trap from Mr. Moneymaker.

He showed and told me where it was marked "870TC"' and not to pay any attention to what it's marked. Just shoot it. And believe me I did.

Fifteen years or so later my son used it on the High School trap team.

Another few years went by, I wanted my Granddaughter to use it when she shot on the HS Team but it was bit large for her. Instead she shot a Remington trap grade 1100. This is the last year for her HS trap shooting.

So say what you want about the Remington's, they served us will.

Jim Morrison

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He asked about the 870 Comp not a TC. Fair amount of difference here.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I've owned three and was advised by the remington rep to keep the mag cap tight to prevent cracking, I used soft jaw pliers to crank it tight. I shot them at games with heavy loads and never had a problem. I would say they are easier to clean and stay clean longer than a 1100 which are maintenance hogs.

Great guns

Surfer

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What advantage does the 870 Comp offer over an 1100 Trap?

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hope cubancigar is right about them coming down in price, I will start buying. Should never have sold the ones I had, but went back to my 31TC and they were just staying in the closet. Ross Puls

12. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

for those who believe they need to sell before the "bottom falls out", I will be the good guy and offer .50 on the dollar. I'll take them all, you know, just to make sure you guys don't get stuck with any. dollar for dollar you can't do better than a 870 comp. Jack

13. Crunch

Crunch Member

During a weak moment I sold my 870 Comp. The guy that bought it is ink-balling targets with it all day long.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

ovaljack, while maybe not quite .50 on the dollar, I have a nice one $475.00 and shipping would buy.

15. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Nothing for nothing. I have a 870 and a 11-87 trap. A normal 870 Trap doesn't recoil much at all to begin with and you don't have to worry about non-available parts breaking.

16. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Hi Mac and others,
    a freind of mine is looking for threads on the subject of "870 competition barrels, the best made". Do you know of any threads on TS that coroborate the claim??
    BTW, I have one, best investment I've made in a while.
    I also have a local gunsmith who fixed a friends 'Cracked Receiver', 1.5" long. welded, reblued and not visable, truly a 'master craftsman repair', $100. The friend did not know to KEEP THE ENDCAP TIGHT. Time will tell if the weld holds.
    thanks,
    Deadeye45

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't know much about the 870 comp but yrs ago we had a young boy (14) shoot a 870 field and he ran 100ds straight with it----Sad to say he died with an unusal disease---He would have been great----The 870 has proven itself for many yrs----George@SJB

18. 333t

333t Member

I have had a couple of 870 Comp's over the years and really like them, except that they aren't too fun to clean. A few years ago I decided to put together an 870 that would be close to a Comp. and shoot the same.

I put together an 870tb receiver with a spare Comp. stock I had and then purchased a used overbored step-rib barrel that measures .745 with .38 of choke. It is a fixed full choke barrel and bore and choke are identical to the factory Comp. barrel. I believe these barrels are really the same, some made for the Comp. and some for the 870TC of the same vintage.

I took out the magazine spring and put a homemade recoil device in there instead consisting of a couple of springs and sliding steel weight of around 7oz. This made it into a single shot. The Comp. stock and step-rib barrel gives exactly the same dimensions and sight picture as the factory Comp. and the recoil device makes the gun very comfortable to shoot. The Comp. stock is different that any other 870 stock with a slightly higher comb.

I have shot this gun a lot am very pleased with its performance. And cleaning it doesn't get my hands dirty.

Phil

19. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

other variations between the "Comp" and the Wingmaster 870 of that same vintage;
    *) matted finish on top of the receiver
    *) highest factory issued stock - no Monte Carlo
    *) front and middle beads on rib
    *) step rib vs flat
    *) cut checkering vs pressed
    *) longer forearm extends back over the action 1/4" with action closed
    *) no grip cap
    *) "Competition" etched into the right side of the receiver

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

It's the same as any other gun. It depends on how you personally shoot it. If you break good scores with it, then it is a great gun. If you can't hit the side of a barn then it ain't squat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 good bad ugly