1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem.870 choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Are the only choke tubes that will fit the re-issued "TC" from the 1990's the 3 that came with the gun? Thanks...

Wayne

2. jtf650

jtf650 Member

I assume you're talking about the factory overbored barrel that came with Trap Full, Trap Extra Full and Trap Super Full chokes? Any Remchoke will fit the threads, but because the barrel is overbored the constriction will not match what is printed on the choke. For example, an IC Remchoke in the overbored barrel will result in around a nominal .027" constriction, which is normally considered Imp Mod. In a regular barrel, that IC choke gives .009" constriction which is IC. Here's a link to a chart at Remington's website that lists all the nominal constrictions so you can determine what they would be in the overbored barrel. http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/remchoke_specs.asp

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a 1989 Remington TC that came with those 3 chokes but I've found in this gun the normal chokes such as regular full works fine, I also have a 1990 Remington 11-87 trap that remington said was backbored but again it shoot the normal chokes like its supposed to so I'm wondering if those barrels were even backbored? they don't shoot like it.

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

The only way to know for sure what kind of bore you have with a Remington barrel is to take and measure the thing.

There was/ is a lot of variability in how much overbore there is in those barrels.

I have owned a few of them in the past that were supposed to be overbored and they ranged from .733 to .748, which certainly had an impact on things.

Once I got each barrel figured out they were target grinding tools.

I don't have any of them any more as I have gravitated to the old school remington fixed choke barrels for not other reason than just because I could.

And the best way to determine what choke tube to use is to shoot some at a pattern board and see what you get, then go from there.

5. fishguts

fishguts Member

Thanks..!!! This information is what I needed. The choke tube chart is very informative.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 choke tubes trap

rem 870 trap choke tubes
remington 870 trap choke tubes
remington remchoke thread choke tubes