1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REM 7400 ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Need info if you can keep action open when unloaded and no clip installed in the REM 7400 auto? I have two and there is no way I can figure out to keep action open when not in use---Most people like to see an open action to have confidence gun is not loaded---Thanks---Dan---

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think so-without aftermarket accessory

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. yjwinchester

yjwinchester TS Member

l've owned them & nope you're out of luck.....that's why l now own a browning bar safari....far superior rifle!!! Like night & day! Cheers

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Stick a empty hull sideways in the loading port and close the bolt on it to leave it partially open.
    That is what is taught in Ia. DNR hunter saftey classes.

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The bolt is only held open by the clip. Remove the clip and the bolt shuts.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A fired 12 gauge hull works nicely or you can buy a chamber flag from Midway or places like that.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Remington's auto rifle was not their best design. Among other things, the bolt beats the magazine to death. It is the bolt catch. I recommend the pump gun mag for them. The gun will not stay open after the last shot, but lasts longer.

I repaired a trainload of them when performing warranty service and repair for Remington.

PM your address and I will send you a chamber flag, gratis.

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

740/7400 not so good. 760/7600 good.

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks to all for your help and info---The Rem 7400 that I have is very accurate from 50 out to 150yds for the deer hunting that I do---Never had a shot over 150yds and most are 75yds and less---The gun has never jammed nor have I ever had any problem with it---It only cost me $300.00---So far it has taken 7 nice bucks---I just hate the action since you have to load by putting in the clip and releasing a shell into the chamber then take out the clip and put another shell in it---and the bolt won't stay open when not in use---I now know that the BAR and the AR-15 will do it all but I think they will run around $1000.00 and up---From what I hear on this thread the Rem7400 is nxt to worthless so I guess I'll have to live with what I have---I'll use the 12ga empty to keep the action open when carrying unloaded---Again---Thanks to all.

MYSTIC

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Actually only the more recent BARs stay open after the last shot

Its all about what the consumer wanted or wanted to pay for at that time

The reason ARs stay open is that they were designed that way so you could easily see it was empty and reload immediately

An aside- those remington autos and pumps have killed a lot of game and a lot of it has been deer- so dont put that 7400 down-

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you have a good functioning, accurate 7400, then stick with it. Plenty do work.

Plenty have been less than reliable as well. If you get one of those, trade it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.