Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rem 7400 semi-auto help

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  darr 
#1 ·
Any 7400 semi-auto experts ?? I recently bought a 30-06 in great shape. Read about the firing mis-haps with these guns - so I disassembled the entire gun (well, left in the firing pin mechanism as I couldnt knock out the dowel pin), cleaned up the barrel and everything real good. The barrel chamber seemed spotless to me - no signs of pitting at all. Put back together - went to the range 1 month later. 1st shot - jam. Gun didnt spit the fired round. Brought it home for a look. Used a cleaning rod to push out the fired brass - which came out very easily. The rim of the brass had 1 spot that was torn back. I assume this is where the extractor pulled back and ripped the rim ... since the brass wanted to stay in the chamber. Any ideas why the brass was stuck ? All I can think of is I sprayed a good amount of Rem Oil in the barrel after I 1st cleaned it - about a month before shooting it. I didnt re-clean the barrel before test firing. I really dont know what else to check - I didnt expact any problems at all ... based on the condition of the gun. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
Were you shooting factory ammo? Auto's can be very hard on ammo that would normally work fine in a bolt gun. Next step after the chamber is dry is to try it with a round in the barrel and no clip just to rule out clip issues.

Sounds like ammo wasn't sized properly. If you are not sure of your ammo, go buy a box of factory rounds. Jeff

#4 ·
You have an issue if you wre shooting factory ammo. I know what he is saying about too much lube as I have seen brass do that when reloading but I have never seen it cause a gun to fail to eject. It could happen but few of us leave a gun that wet.Jeff

My theory is that you will have the same problem after you dry teh chamber. In fact I bet the chamber is dry already. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.