1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 700 Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Woods, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

After the criticism of the 700 Rem. what are we to do with our 700's.
    Replace triggers,peplace gun. Timney trigger or new Rem. trigger.
    Any suggestions.
    I have always been a fan of the 600 & 700 rem.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Don't point them at things we don't want to shoot.

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I don't want to read a bunch of stuff again, but, didn't they say the triggers after 1982 have not had a problem? Been somewhat modified. Or, am I wrong again? I thought I read that someplace.

Rod

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What criticism?

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

You can "trick" anything and the news will do what makes a story they didnt say anything about a pre 64 win 70 and they can be "tricked" easy. a rem is safe dont beleave the BS you see on TV too many did that why mr O is in the WH

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

They are all dangerous. You better send them to me so I can keep watch over them.

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I realize the Rem. 700 is a good gun, I also feel that the new 700 Trigger has some benefits over original. I just was wondering if anyone has had there gun refitted with updated trigger. I have prefferred the Timney trigger.
    whether needed or not.

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Joe, I have over two dozen Model 700s with production dates ranging from 1974 to 2010 and have never had a trigger problem involving safety. I have one stainless BDL that had a trigger that just wouldn't consistently release at the same weight (which I understand isn't unusual for a stainless M700 trigger) and I replaced it with a Timney. The Timney was a huge improvement for that rifle but I've never felt the need to replace any of my other triggers.

When you adjust a Model 700 trigger, touching the sear engagement is something you don't want to do unless it's really hateful and I think that's how a lot of unintentional discharges are caused. After I adjust any trigger, I cock the action, set the safety, YANK on the trigger repeatedly, switch the safety off, wiggle the bolt handle around and then thump the butt really hard on the floor (or a surface with just enough padding to protect the stock if it doesn't have a recoil pad) several times. If it doesn't discharge unintentionally through all that, it probably never will under any other circumstance.

I'm not a big fan of the new X-Pro trigger - not yet, anyway. I only have one - on a 700LSS in .257 WBY - and it isn't as nice as the older triggers. It just doesn't "feel" as nice as it breaks.

Ed

9. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I will be fair and take them off your hands for $100 each.
    Carey

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all.............
    Hey Ken,you can't do that...........thats my job..............
    700's are all junk,can't shoot worth a hoot,they are ugly,and they go off when ever I pull the trigger.........oops,I mean flip the safety off.......
    So send them all to D.P.Reynolds,and I'll take care of those dangerous guns!!!
    Just PM me,and I'll even pay for the postage as well.........

D.P.Reynolds

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I still have one of my dads, which is a 700-C, custom, which was made around the early 70s. I would never get rid of it...lots of memories. He hunted round the world with it. Shot the 2nd biggest grizzly out of the Yukon back around 76 with it. I know it was one of his favorites, if not the main one. Real nice gun! puablo

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I performed warranty service and repair for Remington, the only time I saw a pre-83 700 with a trigger issue was when a "trigger job" had been performed on them. They could be set by some one not qualified to do so, or one not familiar with the limits of the trigger to be dangerous.

The safety blocks the sear, and DOES NOT block the striker assy' by moving it from contacting the sear, as do safeties on turnbolt rifles like the Winchester M-70, and most Military pattern turnbolts.

Reducing sear engagement was acceptable AS LONG as trigger spring pressure was increased. I also preferred a little trigger overtravel, but not much. It was easy to get a consistent pull of around 50 ounces. Note I am talking about Game Rifles, and similar rifles with the same trigger that came on a Game Rifle.

A creep-free 50 ounce trigger is still my standard to this day, be it 1911 pistol, or Game Rifle.

The 40-X and replacement triggers are a different critter.

The new trigger on my 2010 700 Custom Medium Bore is at the point that I feel no need to adjust it. It is as I like them.

13. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

For anyone that is worried about this, they should use only a factory set trigger and keep the gun clean.Remove the barreled action from the stock ( 2 screws ) and clean the trigger with brake cleaner. No WD40 or other lube that will attract dirt and such. Do this before and after each trip to the range if you only take it out once a year to hunt and all will be good.

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

I service Remington triggers whenever a Remington rifle comes in for work. The triggers should be cleaned depending on the conditions the rifle is subjected to. I have seen some that have so much dried oil in them that the trigger wouldn't reset. Those I disassemble and remove all oil and built up crud. Usually the sear engagement is set very close to factory. That is fine for a trigger that will be set at about 3 lbs. They cannot be safely set for much less without knowing what you are doing. It requires some spring replacement. I will not set big game rifles at less than 3 lbs. Varmint calibers can be less, depending on the experience of the shooter. After I clean and reset a trigger I only put some moly gease on the sear release point. Anywhere else only accumulates dirt.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Moly grease on the sear release point??????????? Only if you like creepy triggers or accidental discharges. HMB

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My remington gunsmith seems to feel that it is more of an issue of the trigger being enclosed in a housing. No way to easily clean it and teh average guy never removes the stock and even if he did wouldn't feel comfortable removing or dismantling the housinh so the trigger can be cleaned.

I have no ideae how many 700's I have been associated with between me, fanmily, friends and guys at the range. Many hundreds over the years and I have never seen the problem outlined in the story. I am not saying that it is all a bunch of hooey but it seems an easy way for people who should have been responsible in the first place to put the blame other then where it should be. The storys are sad but do not make up for why the guns are pointed at people when they go off.

I am pretty sure that Remington is not responsible for that. For out of the accuracy Remington is still my number 1 choice and I have not purchased a new 700 in years. I almost always buy used ones that do not have trigger locks or the newer styler trigger. Never a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.