1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REM 7 MAG TROUBLES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hot springs, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO AFTER A SERIOUS FIRARMS ACCIDENT. MY SON SHOT A FEW REMAINING SHELLS OUT OF AN OLD BOX OF WINCHESTER SUPER X,7MM REM MAG. HE TOOK THE FIRST SHELL OUT OF A NEW BOX OF THE SAME SHELLS AND LOADED ONE INTO THE CHAMBER, SIGHTED HIS TARGET AND FIRED. THIS SHELL EXPLODED. THAT IS TO SAY THE POWDER IGNITED, THE BULLET IS GONE AND SO IS THE PRIMER. THE EXHAUSTING GASES BLEW OUT OF THE PRIMER HOLE, OUT THE VENT ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BOLT TRACK AND DESTROYED THE GUN. THE BARRELL DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE HARMED.THERE IS NO BULGING OR BANANA PEELING OF THE BARRELL. THE STOCK IS BROKEN BY THE VENT HOLE AND HAS SEVERAL CRACKS THROUGHOUT THE PISTOL GRIP AREA AND BOTTOM OF THE STOCK. I WAS ABLE TO REMOVE THE BOLT AND THE SHELL CASING IS STILL IN THE GUN OBVIOUSLY. THE EXTRACTOR FLEW OUT IN PIECES. THE GUN DID NOT HAVE AN OBSTRUCTED BARRELL! THE GUN HAD BEEN SHOT 5 TIMES BEFORE OUT OF ANOTHER BOX OF SHELLS WITH NO PROBLEMS.

I TRIED TO CONTACT WINCHESTER TODAY AND LEFT A MESSAGE. NO RETURNED PHONE CALL YET. I WILL HAVE THE GUN EXAMINED BY AN INDEPENDANT PARTY. LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON WHO TO LOOK AT IT.

THE GUN WAS A SAKO MODEL 75 DELUXE. PROBABLY NEVER HAD 3 BOXES RUN THROUGH IT IN ITS LIFETIME.

LUCKILY, MY SON WAS WEARING SHOOTING GLASSES AND RECEIVED POWDER BURNS ON HIS FACE, NOSE AND AROUND HIS EYES. I KNOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TO WHO TO GET IN TOUCH WITH AND WHAT COURSE OF ACTION TO FOLLOW. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

JEFF PURNELL
    HOT SPRINGS, AR

2. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I've known it to happen when the wrong caliper bullet was placed in the chamber. Isn't it possible that if the shells have been setting around for some time that some one may have inadvertently misplaced a shell of another cal. in the box? Not accusation but a thought. Post-2

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To make a long story short, talk to the local game warden. They will and have taken such hunting guns and had then examined to see what was at fault. Save everything and don't mess with anything. Leave it just as is. A friend had his gun blow up and the game warden had it looked over by the state. Its still going on so I can't add anything else.

4. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

POST-2
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. THE SHELLS WERE BOUGHT THE DAY THE MISHAP OCCURRED, BY GETTING THE BOLT OUT, I AM ABLE TO SEE 7MM REM MAB ON THE BRASS. THANKS.

5. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

WINCHESTER HAS RESPONDED. THEY ARE GOING TO SEND OUT A CALL TAG FOR THE GUN, AMMO AND RECOVERED FRAGMENTS. I'M NOT SURE I TRUST THEM TO TELL ON THEMSELVES IF IT WAS A FAULTY ROUND.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Take pic's of the gun and ammo. TAKE PIC"S OF EVERYTHING YOU CAN. The reason is if the gun disappears you have proof of the gun and the accident. That also goes for the ammo. On the inside of the ammo box there is a lot number on the flap or on the outside on the back. Take down that number.

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

It is not just a matter of taking pictures. Make sure the pictures are focused, and very clear of detail. If you don't have a camera that will do that please get someone to do it for you that has the proper equipment, and make digital copies for backup just in case.

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

I'd go a step farther. Get a notary to witness the picture taking and draft a statement saying so, include the dates. Also, be sure to document any injuries your son might have and get copies of any doctor's reports. If you are really paranoid about it, make duplicates of everything, seal them in an envelope, and mail them to yourself by registered mail. As long as the envelope remains unopened you have a definate proof of date of the pictures and other evidence.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree with the last two posters. I'd consider contacting an attorney for advice as I frankly do not trust Winchester. That's not due to any experience with safety concerns regarding their ammo, just their lack of customer service or at least an apparent lack of concern when a customer advises them of a problem.

I've had readers contact me for help in dealing with ammo, firearm and reloading component companies over the years. Most of the time, the reader's failure to receive help was caused by a simple lack of communication and one email or telephone call has brought the problem to a satisfactory conclusion with one exception. The only company that is super-slow to respond, words letters and communicates verbally in an uncaring manner or just doesn't respond at all has been Winchester.

I've had to contact them on one occasion about a problem of my own and received the same treatment - an email was ignored, a registered letter generated a slow response, their replacement product bore the same extremely visible defects as the original and it took a long time to receive a reimbursement. I felt that if they didn't even care enough to make sure they were replacing defective material with good stuff, how would they handle a potentially serious problem - like yours?

Please keep us posted on your efforts and any results. Their service level might not be the result of a company policy; perhaps their customer relations manager has his own policies and addressing your concern to someone in upper-level management might yield a more satisfactory outcome or at least better treatment.

Ed

10. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

sounds like a barrel blockage and a strong action-

What do you think the damages were? you have admitted to the entire world that there were no damage other than the gun

Ifffff you would have suffered damages that you felt should be actioned I would contact a lawyer and not release anything.

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

PS- where did the ammo come from? Did you purchase it at a store or did it come from someone else?

If it came from someone else- how do you know it wasnt a reload?

How do you know there wasnt a barrel blockage

How do you know that it was the right caliber bullet in that shell?

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

Well, if he fired 5 shots and there were 5 holes in the target, then it's doubtful that the barrel was blocked.

If the last cartridge fired had the wrong caliber bullet in it, oversized at least, it should either still be in the chamber/barrel, or there should be some damage to the barrel.

You might want to check the diameter of the remaining bullets from that box. If they do have the wrong bullets in them, that's definately something you want to document.

13. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED.

TO ANSWER A FEW QUESTIONS OF GENE'S MIND LET ME SAY THIS. THE GUN WAS FIRED WITH THE OLDER BOX OF SHELLS 6 TIMES WITH NO PROBLEMS. THE FIRST SHELL OUT OF THE NEW BOX, BOUGHT THAT DAY AT A SPORTING GOODS STORE HERE LOCALLY IS THE CULPRIT. I HAVE VERIFIED THE SHELL IN THE BARRELL IS INDEED A 7 MAG. AFTER THE OLD SHELLS WERE EXPENDED, THE GUN WAS SUSPENDED BY IT'S SLING ON MY SON'S SHOULDER WHILE HE GOT THE NEW BOX OF SHELLS OUT OF HIS FRIENDS TAHOE. I CANNOT IMAGINE HOW THE BARREL COULD HAVE BECOME OBSTRUCTED POINTED AT THE SKY. I HAVE THE RECEIPT FOR THE SHELLS AND THE LOT NUMBER FROM THE BOX WITH THE REMAINING SHELLS ON MY DESK.

AS FAR AS ADMITTING ANYTHING, I'M GLAD TO SAY THE ONLY SERIOUS DAMAGE IS TO THE GUN ITSELF. MY SON DID RECEIVE POWDER BURNS ON HIS CHEEKS AND FACE. I HAD HIM EXAMINED BY AN OPTHOMOLOGIST FOR ANY DAMAGE TO HIS EYES BECAUSE THEY WERE EXTREMELY BLOODSHOT FROM THE RECOIL AND POWDER FLASH. A FEW PARTICLES OF BURNING POWDERDID GET TO HIS EYES. LUCKILY, THERE WILL NOT BE ANY NO LONG LASTING EFFECTS FROM THAT. HE DID LEARN A VALUABLE LESSON ABOUT SHOOTING GLASSES TO SAY THE LEAST.

ACCIDNTS CAN AND DO HAPPEN. I WILL BE INTERESTED TO LEARN WHAT AN EXPERT HAS TO SAY ABOUT THIS. IF IT CAN BE DETERMINED THAT THE SHELL WAS DEFECTIVE, ALL I WOULD ASK FOR IS THE GUN TO BE RESTORED OR REPLACED. THANK GOODNESS NOBODY WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST AND SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THIS UNFORTUNATE MATTER.

14. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Well I would say see an attorney BEFORE you send anything to anyone

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had an H&K blow up with Winchester factory .223. They asked that the gun be shipped to them along with the remaining ammo. They found there was nothing wrong with their ammo, however, they did send the gun to H&K and had it completely rebuilt. They were very concerned about injury and were very prompt in how they handled the matter. This was about 10-12 years ago.
    Pat Haskins

16. M-16

M-16 TS Member

One simple check is to weight the cartriges and compare to the other box's if they are the same weight bullet and brand of casing. Document your findings.I suggest if you have a gunsmith you trust to do a visual of it and would stand behind his findings to do that. Sako 75 is not a cheap gun to lose. As said be fore keep all of your documents and make copies. I take it you just want winchester to replace the gun and shells and something for your troubles/eye exam. They probely would like to reinbruse any thing with their products if they do so. Good Luck and good note for shooter glass's

17. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If it is the ammo, it is because it contains the wrong burning rate powder. If that is the case, the rest of the ammo is probably also loaded with the wrong powder.....something like bullseye will do this.

If the bullet was too large, his son could not have chambered it. If the bullet was undersiged, there would have been bo damage to anything.

I notice that you say that the brass says 7mm MAB on the head of the case....was this a typo?

18. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

If the bullet was too large- it could be chambered --likely it would have been set back into the casing but maybe not

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good point Gene, and it probably would not take a lot of effort to do that. Can't imagine how that could happen in a fresh box of ammo, but then again, you have to examine all scenario's. Good luck, Bob

20. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Try chambering a 30-06 in a 270 and let me know how you make out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.