1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 7 1/2 "benchrest" primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just purchased a carton (1000) of Remington 7 1/2 Benchrest small rifle primers. What's with the "Benchrest" thing?.......one of my loading manuals suggests that the Rem 7 1/2 is a standard primer and another says it's a magnum primer, how would they compare in that regard to say.....CCI 400's & CCI 450's?

John C. Saubak

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Rem 7 1/2

Not really an answer to your question but my Speer #12 Reloading Manual states on page 38 that CCI Benchrest primers are ballistically eqivalent to the CCI 200 and CCI 400. That being the BR-2 and the BR-4. There is much more about tighter quality control, primer charge weight, operator skill, etc. I bet Speer can answer your question better than I.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Rem 7 1/2

They have a bit tougher cup for higher pressure than the Rem 6 1/2. They are not a magnum primer. Call Rem to verify

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Rem 7 1/2

7 1/2 mainly used for loads that will be used in AR type rifles because of the stronger primer cup.Regular rem. small rifle primers get pierced by AR firing pins and are not good for the rifle.......Don

5. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Rem 7 1/2

I have used them over the past 25 years for my .17 Remington. They show pressure better than the plated primers. I can load my hot loads, shoot in cooler weather,in warm weather the pressure increase will pierce the primers and spit out the blow hole in the side of the action. I run on the ragged edge of pressure, why shoot "the sonic Killer" and not make em smoke. Something exciting about see an object blow-up in the scope at 200 yds before the gun moves.

Jim coyote eradicater

6. setter

setter Member

Rem 7 1/2

The "Benchrest" nomenclature simply indicates that Remington has their most experienced personnel fill these primers with the primer mixture, apparently there is an "art" to this process. Thereby; supposedly, producing a more consistent primer. How do these compare - there probably is not a specific direct comparsion. However, just as in other instances where primers are being changed, if your loads are near maximum, reduce your load by 10% and work up to your load sans signs of "too much pressure". Many, many folks prefer these primers just as I tend to prefer CCI's. See primer primer above.

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

Rem 7 1/2

ks5shooter, Get your micrometer out and you will see the small pistol primer is shorter than a small rifle primer. You will get better groups from the small rifle primer.
    GeezerGlide, How does the face of the bolt in your rifle look after blowing primers, and how does your firing pin look? Usually you will see a flame cut ring around the firing pin hole in the bolt face and your firing pin tip will be flame cut so it looks like a semi-wadcutter in profile. That may be why it is piercing the primers now!

8. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Rem 7 1/2

sorry my mistake I typed pistol instead or rifle I corrected my post.....Don

9. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Rem 7 1/2

I have had what I refer to as primer piercing on 3 or 4 different rifles. Only happens in the summer months.......temperature seems to increase pressure. Holes appear to burn from the inside, I just figured the cups appearing to be copper and no plating seem a bit softer, maybe thinner, than the other rifle primers. Who can say for sure. "Too hot" Jim

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rem 7 1/2

Some powders are more tempeerature stable than others.

I found this out the hard way when I worked up a load in the spring to my satisfaction and made 500 of them.

Out in the Pdog fields, the bullets would disintegrate. These were Hornady SX, not to be run over 3400 fps. they would come apart downrange at about 250 yards.

Took the rounds off the table and put them in the soda cooler. Presto! They worked great.

There was an article in the Varmint Hunter a while back with tests of various powders in hot and cold temperature extremes. Some powders were very stabel, others were erratic.

Moral: do yuor final testing under the intended conditions or use a known temperazture stable powder. Don't ask me which ones are, my loads work and I'm not worried about them.

HM

11. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Rem 7 1/2

I was lucky enough once upon a time to buy 1500 of the old original Remington 25 gr. bubble base bullets. These have no problems to over 4100 fps unless its real humid or a damp moist night. I have had them shred under 100 yds in fog or mist, looks like rat-shot on the target. Have killed a truck load of deer(neck only shots) with the little screamer. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.