1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 5mm mag.

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by TCFelty, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

0   0   0

Are there any of these little rifles still out there and if so are there any for sale ?? I'd like to fined one. Thanks Tim

2. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

0   0   0

Thanks EE. I just started looking. Got to shoot one a few days ago and loved it. Thanks for the info..Tim

3. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

0   0   0

I had a Remington 591 and I just sold it on gunbroker. I got 400 + shipping for it. Thompson Center makes a barrel for it for the contender/G2 which is a little better way to go. Centurian is loading ammo, a 30 grainer that checks out at around 2350 on my chronograph. It does nothing that the 22 Mg. won't do what with the variety of bullet wts available in the 22 Mg.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

the 17 HMR is just as effective and more accurate too by a good margin...especially in a CZ

5. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

0   0   0

If you can find one for sale, remember you have to find ammo for it. An i think you will find that harder to do.Pete

6. CalvinMD

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Of all of these Hyper velocity rimfires...my favorite is still the 17Mach2....Ammo is very cheap...and there are three different power/velocity levels available to fit the job at hand.....the 17 Aquila is a 20gr bullet @ 1830fps and very quiet...the 20gr in the Mach2 is about 2100fps and the 17gr bullet is close to 2400...all of them are deadly spot on in my CZ452 American...its just the most fun to shoot of any gun I own

7. CalvinMD

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Just the last one...going off the boxes...the last one with the 17gr is 2150 and the 20 gr is 2050....not exactly the point though...$4 and change per box as opposed to 12 or more...I'll take the mach2 every time

8. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

0   0   0

I have two 591's and a 592 that I have picked up over the last few years. Remington brand ammo still commands big money but the Centurion rounds are good also. These are nice rifles.
    Doug

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

0   0   0

While I would agree that it (the 5MM) does not HAVE to do anything that the 22 Mg. won't, I would NOT agree that it does.

I too have a 5MM, a 22 Mg. and a 17 HMR.

Of the 3 the 17 is the most accurate, and the most useless if one is shooting at anything larger than a fox squirrel.

I actually shot a rabbit with the 17 at 60 yds. squarely on the front shoulder and he ran off. Later I found him, quite dead, but the bullet had failed to penetrate the shoulder blade of a cottontail rabbit.

I have shot perhaps a half dozen woodchucks with the 17 HMR at ranges of from 50 to 100 yds, and NONE of them died on the spot.

The 5MM AND the 22 Mg. is a different story, but one is just as effective as the other. This is especially true with the more modern 22 Mg. loads with bullet weights running from 30 gr. to 33, 40 and even 50 grains wt.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Wow Redhawk, you must have some nasty cottontails. My HMR has killed several thousand Jacks and they all died very quickly. You are correct about minimal penetration with this round though, generally no exit holes in the Jacks. This round really is at it's best for ground squirrels and other similar sized vermin.

11. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

0   0   0

I only had the experience on rabbits that one time. I also have shot at least a dozen of them with better results, but I did find it telling that when hit in the shoulder, I had a failure to penetrate at least once.

Rabbits are easy to kill. Even the one in question died, but the performance of the 17 gr. bullet in terms of penetration leaves much to be desired.

The 20 gr. bullet is probably better, but thus far, I have not field tested it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.