1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 58

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sdduck, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdduck

sdduck TS Member

I'm just asking if there is anyone here that can comment on the remington 58 concerning its longgevity and weather or not it has any breakdown problems. Being made for only 7 years or so it must be to expensive or breakdown prown. Please forgive my spelling. thanks

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Used to be the darling of skeet shooters. Problem was breakdowns, so most had two, one to shoot while one was in for repairs..like Jaguars. I still have dad's, or at least my son has it and though it has had a fair amount of use, still functions fine. Barrels are identical to 870s but have gas ports drilled in them. At one time I drilled my 870 barrels to use on my 58, tapped them so I could plug them for use on 870s.

Nice gun, a little smaller, heightwise, than the 1100 that replaced it. Snap on shell catchers don't work well but the old hook ones that replace the cocking hook do.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I had a trap grade, great pointing gun. problem was it would hang up on shooting doubles a lot. i had a friend who is now deceased by the name of Hugh Brown, in his day he was a good shooter, also shot on the US Army team. the 58 was his gun of choice after he got out of the service for trapshooting. i saw him numerous times after shooting the first shot in doubles, rushing to throw out the hung up hull, and trying to shoot the 2nd target. if you don't intend to shoot doubles with the 58, i think it's a great gun. it is known as one of the best pointing guns. i think the unreliability of the 58, was the reason the 1100 was made.
    steve balistreri

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Biggest problem was breaking action bars. The return mechanism was in the foreend, and they cycled very fast. Much loved by skeet shooters, somewhat weight forward. BBls & stocks interchange with 870s

5. ouch

ouch Member

Tron told me about these several years ago, I bought one for a new shooter and it's worked great. Above is a link for more info, And a man in Michigan, Named David Snope has a good parts inventory along with complete guns. Richard

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Because of the interchange with the 870 stocks and bbls you have many options available; it's a good way to go for a starter gun. Mine cost $250 and I used it for a couple of seasons. I put betwen 10 and 20K rounds through it. It was a field gun before it became 'the Kuhner' (red dot scoped AR 15 stock abomination). Don't know about parts because I never broke any. I used to clean the ports about once a month. Stopped shooting it when I got my Mach One. Still have my 58. Not ready to part with it just yet. Tron likes 'em.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I like them.. If you keep the springs fresh.. and the piston seal clean.. they last about forever.. 870 barrels will fit if you drill the holes for the gasport.. The triggers are the same as the 1100.. The stock is the same as a 870 pump.. In fact.. I've converted 870's to model 58's many times in the past.. The 870 bolt can be used if you mill the slot for the cocking handle.. The shell latch is the same as a 870.. There is no issues with them.. other than changing the springs every few years..

8. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

I have one that I use for skeet. I'm not a serious skeet shooter though, just for fun once in a while. I do like how the gun points and it has a skeet barrel with a cutts compensator and spreader tube on it. I've patterned it a few time and that thing throws the most consistant even patterns anyone could want. Just for fun one night I shot trap with it from the 27yrd line and I was breaking 20-22 each round. I don't have a clue how that can be with the spreader tube on it but it was.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

For that barrel.. I make a "Super Comp".. which is a direct replacement for the Cutts..reduces perceived recoil... and patterns fantastic.. It uses Cutts tubes..but does not act as a jug choke..

10. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have one dubbed a "golden palomino",light blond forearm and 3" magnum. Where can I get replacement springs?

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Wolfe springs has all the 58 springs in stock.. Be sure to remind them it's for a 3"

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have 2, a 12 and a 20, both skeet guns. I have had less trouble with them than I have had with 1100s.

Now this is not any scientific test as it is far too limited to be that conclusive, but is IS what I have experienced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.