1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 58 ?'s

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kiwiG, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, I've bought an old 58 fieldmaster as a cheap, low recoil loaner. It has a cutts system. Here in New Zealand 1oz shells are compulsory. About 1 time in 3 (while goofing around on the doubles trap) it will bring the 2nd shell out of the magazine but the bolt will lock back instead of chambering the 2nd shot. I will most likely only use this gun once a year to shoot 20 targets, and it isn't worth spending any money on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem/fix might be. Kind Regards-Graham.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

new mag spring is my guess. Replace new action spring while your at it, both are probably pretty well cooked.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

The trigger assembly is almost Identical to today's 1100 and 11-87. If you were to remove the trigger, directly above the release button there is a piece of stamped steel that the shell from the magazine hits and supposed to release the bolt forward again.

If that piece of stamped steel gets bent or is binding in the trigger housing, it will cause the 58 to not load the second shell. Same problem the 1100’s sometimes have.

I’d clean the area of the release button with some kind of cleaner (Gun Scrubber) etc.....blow it out as dry as you can with compressed air make sure the part is not binding somewhere on the housing. You can spray some Rem-Oil with Teflon on the trigger assembly but blow it out with compressed air just as dry as you possibly can. (Dry-Dry-Dry) The dryer you get it, the better it is. Whatever oil residue is left is plenty. A heavy coat of oil is the worst enemy to ANY gas operated automatic

Reassemble trigger into gun. Go shoot......This should work about 90% of the time.

Sometimes the spring and follower in the magazine would get dirty and gummy resulting in not enough force to shove the second shell into the release button ....(Here we go again with my Clean and DRY thing.) the Gas piston is inside the magazine tube of the 58’s that caused the gummy spring and follower especially if the guy that owned the gun before you thought that a little oil does good.....more would do better

Repeat after me......CLEAN AND DRY....CLEAN AND DRY....CLEAN AND DRY....

Mark

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, That's brilliant...and thanks. I'm not at all concerned, but if a bit of routine maintenance can get it cycling...why not. Thanks again. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.