1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 57 primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Aug 28, 2013.

1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What can you use the 57 primer in?

2. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

I used to use them reloading 16 gauge, but it has been so darm long ago I forget what hulls I was using.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Find a old Lyman shotshell reloading book, you'll find loads for them.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

No current hulls take the smaller #57 primer. You'll have to find someone with an old stash of Remington hulls. The old 10 ga Remington "SP" plastic cases took them, as well as early Remington and Peters 3" and 2 3/4" 12 ga Plastic cases and early Remington and Peters 2 3/4" 16 ga Plastic cases. Same goes for early Remington 20 ga and 28 ga hulls. Even Remington's early .410 bore cases took them.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The older Remington and Peters "SP" hulls and some of the older target loads, before the All American hulls. Approximately 1950s to early 1960s. Of course all of the old Remington paper hulls.

The cases have composition base wad and a MEC loader(and this style) will tear the composition apart. Chunks can then cover the primer and misfires can occur.

The 57 are not covered flash holes, so don't use them with Ball powders.

Good luck,
    Ajax

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I believe these primers have an open flash hole and ball powder should be avoided as this could be dangerous. BT100dc

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I have a muzzle-loader barrel for a Remington 1100. I use Remington 57 or CCI 157 primers with this barrel as they are much easier to remove from the nipple after firing. There may be a little leakage, but it is inside the receiver and just adds to the crud.

If you find some old Remington SP hulls, Ajax is right the basewads will crumble, inspect each case after de-priming to make sure the basewad is still intact.

Michael

8. skipsor

skipsor Member

Dave, you're showing your age. Unless you have come across some old Remington/Peters hulls they are of no use anymore.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I stumble across these primers once in while and keep a supply of old cases to shoot them in. Mostly you will find the cases in High Brass(really Steel) but they still work well. I loaded up four boxes this week and shot 25 today. The primers and some of the powder is 40 years old. Still consistent over a chronograph.

Ajax

10. pulllit

pulllit Member

The Rem 57 and CCI 157 will fit the Alcan 12ga and 10ga solid brass hulls that were made in Italy.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have 1000 of them if anyone is interested. Still in the original sleeve.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a number of 3 inch 20 gauge hulls that take them. I did hear they were preferred for some muzzle loader applications.

I have a thousand primer caps if anyone wants to reload primers again.

HM

13. grunt

Thanks all, Think Ill just put them in storage..

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Do you have many or just a few?

Ajax

15. grunt

two hundred they were given to me.

16. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Time for someone to revive the old "Walmart soda straw" trick.

Bob

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bob have you ever tried it, or anyone else? I never have but I would like to know if it will work?

Ajax

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Try this.

wayneo_2008_030330.jpg

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The primers on the right are Alcan 57's. They fit the Alcan papers in front. I've got a whole box of the once fired Alcan papers in excellent condition. I just can't get myself to load 'em as they are part of my collection.
    grntitan_2009_25032.jpg

20. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Ajax, I know someone who did load up a couple of boxes after someone had another thread some time back on this subject. I guess it was the old "myth buster" thing. It was time consuming, and in my opinion, and his, not worth the effort to use them.

This is certainly am not recommendation for anyone else do this due to the many variations that can occur in components and firearms. He happened to have been able to cross reference the primers that were used, with primers that are presently available (at least before the hoarding started), so He felt comfortable with the information he had in hand regarding the components he used.

Much better to find some one loading brass or older hulls that these will fit, and make them a great deal.

Again, this is not a recommendation to do this, nor will there be any data furnished to any inquiries for information.

Stick with the published loads in your reloading manuals. That is the bottom line.

Bob

Search tags for this page

old remingon 57 hulls

remington 57 shotgun primers

remington sp hulls

using remington 57 primers