1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 57 & 157 Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I bought some supplies from a gentleman and there was a few hundred Rem.57 & 157 Primers. What are they intended for? Can I use them for normal reloading?Glenn

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Loose fit in modern hulls. HMB

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

These primers fit the older Remington Shur-shot and field load shells. Remington used to use smaller primer in some of its shells quite a few years back.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

if you got some older REM. hulls in those supplies you might be able use those primers. if not maybe some of your buddies may & maybe you could work out some sort of a trade.. i used them until wore out all of my old REMS. they were very good primers i actually preferred them over brand .. good luck Ross

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Small diameter, open flash holes. I have a bunch of 3 inch 20 guage hulls which use them, and I am hoarding a few hundred.

Large flake powder works best with them, fine powder migrates into the primer and causes problems.

You might want to offer them to someone who needs them rather than spending a lot of effort trying to use them.

HM

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have a thousand or more extra I would trade for some regular 209 size. I live in Kansas.

7. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

They are correct, you have to find some old remingtion shells and they fit and they will work fine. They fall out of the new shells. You can also use them in most inline muzzle loaders in place of the 209 primer. At least in mine they fit tight and work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

157 primers in muzzleloaders

rem shur shot hulls
remington 12 hulls 157 primers
remington 157 primers
shur shot hull 57 primer