1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 3200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by larry byers, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larry byers

larry byers TS Member

Does anyone know what changews Pat Laib makes to the forent wood on the 3200?LB

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He reenforces the weak area that is prone to splitting with epoxy. You can also use a thin piece of fiberglass mess if needed. HMB

3. larry byers

larry byers TS Member

Would like to know the weak area? Thanks LB

4. Kerz

Kerz Member

Laib's is a great bunch to work with. Just a had a 3200 repaired. Stocks and forearm are bedded (epoxy). I would suggest you give them a call.
    Laib's Gunsmithing L.L.C.
    201 HIGHWAY 23 NE
    Spicer, MN 56288-9648
    320-796-2686
    Vic

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Weak area is the bottom and sides of fore end wood nearest the receiver. HMB

6. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I purchased a new unfired 1 of 1000 skeet back in 1985. In less than 1000 rounds the forearm had cracked back where the forearm meets the receiver and a piece about the size of a pencil eraser broke off. I had a friend reinforce it thereafter with what appeard to be mesh and epoxy with no problems after that.

I purchased an almost new 3200 Trap a couple of months ago and sent it to Laibs for the upgrades - they did a fine job.

While doing research I was informed the weak areas of the stock are compromised when the ejectors "recock" when opening the gun. They are spring loaded and the springs slam the foream and cause it to crack where the wood is thin.

One suggestion was to disconnect the ejectors and manually extract the shells after firing. This is one "remedy" but many don't want the inconvenience of having the lift the shells out of the gun.

My suggestion would be to send it to Laib - cost is a couple hundred dollars and well worth it, both for your use and later when selling the gun -you'll most certainly be asked if the upgrades have been done to the forearm. If the upgrades haven't been done most knowledgeable buyers will discount the sale price by the cost to have the upgrades done.

If for nothing else other than peace of mind I would have it done - otherwise you'll continually be checking the forearm for a crack. By the time you discover it it will be too late.

rounds

7. larry byers

larry byers TS Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info. LB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.