1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200 troubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by paul.QTGC, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul.QTGC

paul.QTGC TS Member

I've recently purchased a Remington 3200 that appears to work fine with either barrel on singles. When I shoot doubles, the second barrel fails to fire several times during a round. I've surface cleaned the gun but am still locating a manual, to give me the confidence, to give it a good cleaning.
    Any thoughts as to what my problem could be ?

thanks,
    Paul

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Send an Email Paul and I'll provide my phone number so we can talk. I have some experience with owning 3200's.

Guy Babin

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Paul, first step is to remove the butt stock and thoroughly clean the lock work in the receiver without ever taking a tool to anything. I like to drench the receiver innards with brake or carb. cleaner and blow that out with compressed air. Look for any remaining goo or muck to remove further. I'll wager your problem is goo in the barrel selector mechanism slowing it down or preventing it to reliably operate when the first barrel is fired. When cleared, spray it lightly with a lube and give that a blow of compressed air too. A nice wipe down with a rag and maybe a dot of light grease in some obvious locations and put it back together. Remember, Remington recommends only 5 lbs of torque when tightening the stock bolt when re-assembling; this is one of the ways Remington suggested for avoiding cracking wood at locations where it meets metal. BTW, the owner's manual is pretty simple and will not give you the info I've just suggested.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. bobr

bobr Member

I fully agree with Bob Dodd's comments. Another possibility might be a broken hammer spring which may not be visibly apparent until you attempt removal of it.
    I've been shooting my 3200 for over 30 years and never experienced a problem with the second barrel firing intermitently but whenever this has happened to me on the first barrel it has invariably been the result of a broken spring for the bottom barrel which happens to be on the left side of the receiver. While I've replaced about 6 of these over the 30 plus years of shooting, I've never had to replace the top barrel or right side spring. Curious huh?
    I shoot my gun completley dry in the trigger and selector mechanism area but wouldn't disagree with Dodds recommendation there either. Most dirt and crude build up is due to excessive lubrication and inadequate cleaning.

Bob Reis

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

You have mail(2) Paul.

Guy

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Check wood to metal fit when putting the stock on. It should only touch on the sides, if metal touches wood at the end of the tang areas, you will get chips or cracks. Relieve these top and bottom areas with a round file, then reseal.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Paul, while I don't shoot a 3200 o/u I have heard that if you plan on doing alot of clay shooting with this gun make sure that It has all the updates from the factory. I also agree with Mr. Dodd as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

good read about 3200s. Valid info????

9. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Valid info indeed from me on SGW. I have bought several 3200's over the last few years that I have been shooting. All have had or developed problems with the holes in which that firing pins come through. My interest in the 3200 comes from looking at my Father's 3200 special trap through my childhood. His developed this same problem only after 30+ years of shooting. If I wanted to shoot a 3200 for serious clay activity I would send it to Pat Liab in MN and have him do all of the fixes. He can dovetail a strip of metal down the center of the breechface to fix the firing pin hole problem and beef up your forend to prevent cracks. I traded my last 3200 for a Model 32 Remington which I still have today.
    Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.