1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200 Top Lock Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnny camaro, Sep 17, 2013.

1. johnny camaro

johnny camaro Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Does anyone know what a 3200 top lock rebuild entails? I know there are different size shims you can buy for the top lock. Can this rebuild tighten up the lateral play that you can get between the receiver & barrels when the gun is closed?
    Thanks John Kennedy
  2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When the top latch/hood is as far forward as it is allowed to go, the only way to get your top lever back to the right is to add weld to each side of the barrel and refit the latch. Yes, there will be some bluing discoloration, and some bluing removed during the clean up of the weld. Cold blue will work..somewhat, to get the barrel black again. For a factory fresh look, hot bluing would be the best.

Some 'smiths may weld the top latch or even solder a piece of steel into the latch's notch. I would prefer not to see a gold solder line.

Krieghoffs are "rebuilt" by welding the barrels because the top latches have been ion nitrided(case harden heat treating). I don't believe the 3200s are, but I would still prefer the barrel weld.

3. Kerz

Kerz Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Call Laibs
    Laib's Gunsmithing LLC & Custom Guns is located at 201 Highway 23 NE, Spicer, MN 320-796-2686

Search tags for this page

can a rem 3200 be rebuilt