1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200 or Citori Trap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Inspector 12, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Curious what the opinion of these two shotguns is from those that have owned them? What kind of problems have you encountered etc.?

I am considering a 3200 Special trap, but have also found a Citori trap at a good price.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Kerry

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Try shooting both of the guns if possible. For this person, I'd nearly guarantee the 3200 would be the choice after a shoot test but to the next guy it could be the other way around. Both are good guns for their price range but which is best is too subjective for us to tell you - Try them!...breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

I would suggest doing a search of "3200" and reading postings. Speaking from experience they have no shortage of inherit design problems. The worse gun I ever owned. I think the threads support that. In my opinion the Browning is much more serviceable and reliable. Every one will say "send to Pat Liabs". You want to own a gun that you ship off for service regularly. If you want good scores and don't have to worry about problems go with Citori.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

3200 by far is the best shooter of the two. I have one that I shoot for doubles with a Roman (sp) double release. Smooth and quite. FD

5. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Kerry

The guys I know with 3200s tend to have more than one gun or at least a backup.

If this is a primary shooter, IMHO, I'd look at something like a newer XT that MIGHT BE less prone to breakage, and therefore. less prone to put you out of commission to go shoot while it is being repaired. Just my $0.02.

BTW, either the 3200 or the Citori (XT) should suit your purposes, assuming your choice has a properly fitted stock. JoeBerg

6. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Agree with above posts, I have a number of 3200`s, they have their issues. XT would be the what I would recommend. Shoot both, my updated 3200`s have given me no problems. Roman double releases. You probably will be changing guns along the way so what ever you buy it will be temporary. Either will be easy to sell or trade. It is like if you have to ask, stay away from the 3200. Enjoy the sport.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have both. Bought the 3200 for doubles and had some extra work done on it to make it shoot better. Still didn't work for me. Bought a nice Citori Plus and find I shoot it much better.
    3200 is a prettier gun, nicer wood, better fit and finish and put together very nicly. It's lighter than my Citori and just feels better when brought to the shoulder. My son is shooting it now and just smokes singles with it.
    My Citori is a little heavier, little cruder in workmanship and the wood is just a chunk of walnut, but it fits me better and I can break doubles with it, so I have a lot more confidence shooting it.
    Never had problems with either one.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The 3200 has mechanical triggers so soft first shots will not be a problem.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have owned both guns in the past. I sold the 3200 when our resident gunsmith retired because he could literally make a part for the gun when needed. I had many reliability problems with the 3200 and none with the Citori Grade III other than aftermarket double release trigger which I had built by the wrong person.

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Would this persons last name start with a "K"?

11. BAP

BAP TS Member

I've owned a Citori which I shot for 10 or 12 years. It had to be rebuilt
    twice while I owned it due to it's inability to hold up to a lot of shooting. I have shot a 3200 for the last 15 years and have had to have the receiver face redone once and the rod inside the hammer spring replaced once (I no longer own a Citori but I own 7 3200's). They are both good guns and will stand up to a fair amout of shooting. I suggest you choose the one that fits you best and be happy with your choice. Bill Parson Jr.

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Getting parts and service for a 3200 can be a problem. A new or newer Citori (or XT) with backbored barrels, long forcing cones, Invector Plus chokes, and newly manufactured should be carefully considered. However, the 3200s have a mystique which disappears real quick when one breaks down. Try both and get the one you like best. I did and gave the 3200 Trap to my son who loves them, but seldom shoots them. Now I use Citori XTs. Ed

13. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Never had a problem with my 3200 - nor has anyone I know personally. Mine has no updates, one person had the updates done, the other I'm not sure. I don't even know the last time they sent it out, but again, no problems what-so-ever.

Don't listen to the 3200 nay-sayers. Its one of the best guns for the price, and unlike the Browning, its made in the US.

14. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Thanks to all those who have shared their experiences. I am in search of a double barrel trap model that would be suited to doubles. I am presently shooting a BT 99 for singles and really like the gun.

I realize fit will probably be an issue with either of these guns as it has been so far with others. In fact if anyone wants a Benelli Supersport (yes I have read the threads on that model) I have one for sale. Length of pull too short for me. I need at least 15 1/4 inches and now that the coat is coming off it seems I need more. No easy way to get there with a Benelli.

The Citori I have been considering is an Invector choked gun, so does that mean it is too early to be back bored from the factory? I am learning a lot from this site, so thanks again to those who have contributed.

Kerry

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Invector Plus guns were backbored by the factory but standard Invector barrels were not. My Citori had .727 bores top and bottom and the patterns were fine for Doubles using factory Full @ .030 and factory Improved Modified @ .022. I found the Modified choke @ .014 to be too open even for the first shot of Doubles.

16. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

My first 3200 was stolen. I ran probably 30,000 rounds through it with no problems. Replaced it and had to have the triggers rebuilt. It was no fault of the gun,rather a bad gunsmith or sombody buggered it up. 3200's here in Oregon are real popular for doubles, its rare to not see one on a squad and ide say 1 in every 2 or 3 singles squads has one.These guns have almost a cult following. As you have read people either love them or hate them. They havent been produced since 83 I believe, so its not beyond reason that one may get one that hasn't been taken care of and have some problems. I was real disapointed that mine broke down, but I don't know anyone that don't have a problem now and then with any gun. There are many grades of this gun as well, I shoot a competition grade that has beautiful wood, bottom barrel is release and it just flat out crushes targets. All that said? they don't fit everyone, no gun does.I will be looking for a back up soon and it will be at minimum a comp grade 3200. BEWARE OF THE MAN THAT SHOOTS ONE GUN!

IMHO

Dennis

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Kerry,

If you need LOP of 15 1/4" plus then I strongly recommend you have a Gracoil with adjustable LOP put on the O/U you select. The unit will add about 1" to the standard LOP . My 13 yr old son shoots a 3200 along with a Beretta 682 Gold E combo and his LOP is 15 1/2" and growing. Adjusting the LOP on the Gracoil is a piece of cake and you have the added benefit of almost no sense of recoil, I wish I had one on my gun. I much prefer the look of the gracoil compared to a spacer and extra thick recoil pad.

BTW - the 3200 is a heck of a gun for doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 3200 trap