1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200 malfunction on nobel primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have been shooting doubles with a Remington 3200 special trap with the upgrades and it has cost me some targets because of failure to fire.Out of 25 shots with the Nobel primer 3 were failures to fire costing me targets.I have not tried every primer out there but in the past I have had problems.The 22 that fired have a very distinct dimple vs the 3 that did not fire that had only a slight penitration.Does anyone have the answer for my problem?PJ

2. poacherjoe

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I had some problems with Nobel sport primers but I opened a different 5000 box (different batch number) and had no problems with them. Could have been a hard batch run.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Are all your misfires in the same bbl??? Will the misfire -fire in the other bbl.?? You state you have had problems in the past.Could be dirty--too dry--a weak hammer spring--broken-bent or short firing pin, many possibilities. Also could be it just doesn't like certain primers in that bbl. Good Luck --Ross Puls

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Joe, A couple years ago I bought 5000 Nobels and I had the same problem about as often as you are having it. I changed fiiring pins, springs and everything that could have been the culprit. Then I went back to Feds & CCI's and the problem went away so I gave away 4000 of them. It aint your gun. There will be fans of the nobels get on here and defend them but for every one of them there will be two or more that has had your problem. Get rid of them and it will go away

6. creek

creek Member

I have heard this over and over again; Nobles are a good primer, but they have a flat striking surface, vs other primers with a convex surface. When your springs or firing pins start going bad in the gun, you will have an occasional misfire. So, in a way, yes it is the gun.... and the primer. I have used Noble primers in the 100,000's range and the only time I have had misfires was with the lower barrel in a Browning XT. I put a longer pin in and never had a problem again.

CREEK

7. shootnair

shootnair Member

I don't defend Nobel primers but I use them. They probably are harder in some instances but more than likely it is your gun. I have had guys on the line with me having the same issue. They throw me there shell it has a small dent in the primer then I load it into my 90-T and it fires every time. The guy recently who having the trouble was shooting a Browning Ultra XT. This issue would happen on the bottome barrel but not the top barrel. This is a pretty good suggestion it is the gun.

8. poacherjoe

This time all 3 misfires were from the top barrel,I was shooting a different load in the bottom barrel with cheddites.25 shots fron the top with the 3 shells that had a small dent and the rest that went boom had a large dent.I will take the cheddite rounds next time to see if they all fire or not.Thanks for the replys.PJ

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have loaded 50+k of the Noble Sport primers in multiple Perazzis without problems. I would say its either he gun or the reloaded that is seating them too low.

Tom

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The problem may well be hard cups on the primer but another possibility is that the primers are a bit oversized and the extra force required to seat them is causing the shell head to dish in far enough to keep the firing pin from making much contact.

Look your loaded ammo over and see if this might be the case.

11. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

I would agree with wolfram , I always thought a guy like Joe would use a better
    primer than that ,but when he is reloading Cheap Powder ,I guess he thinks cheap primers are OK too .He really is a Good Guy but , sometimes for the sake
    of the Team he sould buy the Best and Not be thinking about the Elk !

12. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

You do realize that any primer that "goes off" will have a deeper indent than one that doesn't fire! Set back during ignition increases indent!

13. poacherjoe

OK, I just shot 100 rounds thru the gun using CHEDDITE primers and everyone fired.With that said I would tend to think that some of the nobel primers had a bit more thickness or hardness which contributed to them not firing.I will shoot the rest of them in another gun.PJ

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with factory Noblesport ammo in my 3200 & it was the top barrel.

Phil Berkowitz

15. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Sounds more like a mainspring problem than a primer problem. Try removing the stock and cleaning the action first.

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the primers didn't cause you to lose birds. You lost those birds based on your willingness to finish the round with shells that didn't function in your gun. place the blame where it is due.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I had that problem with my 3200 in the lower barrel. It would fail to fire occasionally. It turned out to be a broken firing pin. It fell out in two pieces when I took the gun apart.

18. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I also had problems with NobelSport primers but of a different nature, they don't like to be cold. Your problems MAY be the primer but to be sure, remove the stock and take a GOOD look at the hammer plungers where they attach to the block on the front end. 3200's, at least the 3 I had, were prone to break the plunger rod where it is threaded into the block that bears on the hammer. At a cursory glance all can look well but if the joint is broken some of the spring power is taken to push the hammer sideways against its' pivot point. If it goes unrepaired it will finally break completely. When it does it will split the stock. Take a good hard look in any event that all is well at the hammers.

Jere

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Why would anyone use crap like that? To save a buck week?

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

rebsmith, Did you send the broken parts to Laib? Found out they can rebuild them for half the price of a new one. On the subject of firing the shell in another gun and having it work. 3200s have an unique firing pin angle. Most guns have straight forward firing pin strike. Also the shape of the primer can also cause some problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

primers for rem3200

remington 3200 bottom barrel misfire

remington 3200 bottom barrel misfires