1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200 Forearm Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jclark1975, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

So I've been looking for a good condition Competition Trap 3200 for a while. Finally found one from a private sale - picked it up today. 32" barrel, one minor mark on the stock otherwise looks extremely clean. One question I had is it has the dot in the serial number (so I know it has the receiver upgrade but I've heard there is a forearm upgrade as well. The serial numbers (last four digits) match the receiver, barrel and forearm. Any idea how I could tell if the forearm has been updated?

2. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

If the forearm has cracked, it will probably be pinned/epoxied. If it has not cracked, take the ejector springs out, and then don't worry about it.

pg

3. topgun

topgun TS Member

Jon,
    Your technically correct to say if it has the dot its been modified but, to be really sure, you should see the two allen head screws in the breech face. On the forearm mod I think, and I could be wrong, that only Laib's provided this mod. I don't have it on my 3200 but it's a web welded on the forearm iron. If you want it and like to use the ejectors fine, otherwise trapper is right on the money with his advice.
    Topgun

4. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

Yes there are two allen head screws in the breech face, I just checked.

Thanks for the advice. Yes there is a 1" hairline crack on the forearm. I'm planning on repairing that tomorrow. Any detail on taking the ejector springs out - or should it be obvious when I get it apart? Also what tool should I use to take out the forearm bolt?

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Any decent smith can disable the ejector springs for you. The forearm iron must be removed from the wood, the springs captured with vice grip pliers, and ejector hammer tripped before the springs and the rod in the middle of the springs can then be wrangled out. You will still be able to extract normally but no longer send the empty hulls over your shoulder. Much less stress on the forearm wood....Bob Dodd

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OR........... you could go to:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

...and order a new forearm!

That's what I did!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.