1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 3200....any good???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scoutmaster, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

My son is shooting scolastic trap with a rem 1100 lefty and now wants to start shooting doubles trap. He wants a 3200 so my question is is this shotgun any good or just a poor man's Kreigoff??

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Oh my... now you've done it!

A 3200 in good sound shape will do the job. So will a hoast of others....

What is your budget? For longivity, I'd lean toward a Citori. In my opinion the XT combo is the best value out there anywhere.

I love 3200's and shoot them exclusively. They are far from perfect however.

Guy Babin

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 3200 is one of the best values out there. It makes a great doubles gun. Also it has mechanical triggers which are very fast and are ideal for doubles.

Another plus is you can usually get to shoot the gun before you buy it. This is a good idea to make sure that it is user friendly and breaks targets. HMB

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Tend to crack stocks, break cocking ears and hammer spring assemblies and seem to shoot flat. Parts availability is limited although Laibs seems to do a nice job keeping up with repairs. There are better options!!

5. oz

oz Active Member

the kid must have done his homework. get him what he wants. I would get a beretta 680 series.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If Remington reintroduced the 3200 tomorrow, they would sell them all day long for 6k if they did some changes such as thickening up the barrels, factory chokes, larger bore and forcing cones.

Great guns.

7. WJN

WJN TS Member

There are things you need to check on a Rem 3200 before you buy one. Make sure the updates are done and check the wood closely for cracks. I have one that has been in the family a long time and I was lucky to find the updates had been done. I started shooting trap with it but it has short barrels and was set up for skeet. The forend had cracks but they had been reenforced with epoxy. Nice gun but they can have issues.

Jim

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

3200s are neat guns and one wise poster on this forum noted that they are kind of "cult guns"...out-of-production but with a loyal following...like 1957 Chevys. Repairs/parts can be a problem if encountered. I really like them, but fear of problems keep me from buying any more. Best Regards, Ed

9. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I love my 3200, but they are a labor of love. Kinda like owning a 57 Chevy. Great car, but do you want to drive it to work everyday knowing the difficulties of getting it repaired. Great guns for the money.

10. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I like mine (now serves as back-up to my K-80). Plan to hand down to my son when he turns 16. However.....I won't be buying another.

I think the Browning XT would be the way I would go if buying something not already owned.

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

pre-owned or not...the browning XT would be better money spent right now.

12. Erik W

Erik W Member

IMO they are "problem guns" best left to enthusiasts who enjoy tinkering and having an "excuse" for bad performance.

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I owned 2 3200 traps with 32" barrels. They point nice but as stated by other responders; they have problems. I would much rather have a 682 Beretta or a Citori XT. Much more reliable and you can't wear them out. JMHO. Ed

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say stick with a Browning. There are some older ones out there, that still have the invector plus chokes that you can pick up for $800 on up to $1900 for a used one thats still a good shooter for your son. Then again if he likes auto's a Rem 1100 or a Beretta 39l are hard to beat as well. Most of the 3200's out there are worn out and in need of constant tinkering. They "Were" a very nice gun during there day, but that day was 30 years ago. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

15. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

ive owned dozens of 3200's. the one i currently shoot has 1,000,000+ documented rounds thru it. around 995,000 the trigger doubled on me. had some sear work done to it and continued shooting it. its still my go to gun for money shoots.
    as stated by others, the stocks tend to crack in the grip. had mine glassed, and no problems since.
    hey, for 900.00? a gun that can keep pace with 10,000.00 guns?
    go for it.

16. Skeety7

Skeety7 Member

Get the young man what he wants 3200s are very good guns I shoot one at skeet and
    love it. I think it is the best gun value out there. 30in trap guns in great shape are easy to come by. All after 20xxx# had factory updates at manufacture. Good luck

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the 3200. Even with all the stated potential problems they are one of the best values out there. Many have been fired thousands and thousand of rounds with little or no problems. There are still some even after 30+years that have been fired little and remain in great condition. Look for one that was manufactured with the factory updates incorporated at the time of manufacture. The Citori is also a good gun for the money but also have weaknesses that appear from time to time. I have seen some with cracked stocks and issues with failure to fire in the lower barrel so they are not immune from problems. I happen to think that the 3200 handles better than the Citori but that is subjective. If your son wants a 3200 get him what he wants.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Scoutmaster, The most important thing at this point is to get your son a gun that is user friendly and breaks a lot of targets. Find a gun that fits him and if it is used get him to shoot it before you buy it. HMB

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Erik W - "IMO they are "problem guns" best left to enthusiasts who enjoy tinkering and having an "excuse" for bad performance."

An "excuse" for bad performance????

Guy B.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

An updated 3200 is virtually trouble free and will last forever with minor tune ups. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.