1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 31 TC ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bundy4, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bundy4

bundy4 Member

Hi, yesterday at my gun club a gentleman came to shoot with 31-TC that was in very close to as new condition. After shooting a few rounds from the sixteen yard line with it he complained that he has never shot it well as it has too much pitch. He asked if anyone wanted to buy it. I looked at it and have never seen one as fresh as his. I would say that it was in at least 98% condition. The stock had lots of figure on one side but was just so so on the other. It was in all original condition but for the pad, he said the factory pad was hard as a rock so he had a new on put on but did not shorten it. He said he would take $1200 for it. To me this seems like way to much money except for the fact that no one at the club can remember seeing a better one in the last thirty or so years. Can I get some opinion on what the market would be on such a gun? Thanks, Ray

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

$1200 would not be totally crazy for a crisp original 31 TC. They are VERY scarce. Rem 31's in general are not seen very often. They made 10 times as many Model 12's. $1000 would be a great comrpomise for both of you. Remember--M31 vent ribs were milled as part of the barrel. Can you imagine what it would cost to produce that today? Get a nice Hawkins pad and the gun would look like it did when it left Ilion.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ray,

I saw a nice 31TB change hands for a bit more than what you can buy the TC for. I wouldn't hesitate to make the guy an offer and see what happens. Good, clean, unaltered 31's are getting scarce!

ec90t

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

i saw a nice TC recently sell for $900. It was nice but not as clean as the one you describe. If that's any indication somewhere in the $1000-$1100 range may be a fair price.

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had a 31 TC back in the 70s. It was a beautiful gun overall with one exception. Someone had shot heavy shells in it and as a result the receiver was hammered out. It broke firing pins faster than I could find them I would suggest you inspect it first or have someone else look at it. Although the action is much smoother than a model 12 it isnt near as strong internally.

Gerald

6. bundy4

bundy4 Member

Thanks to ALL for helping to put a price on the 31. I was told that there would be no offers taken and it would be $1200 firm. again I feel like this is top money and in my case I dont like to deal with a seller that is SO RIGID. Again thanks to all, Ray

7. bebop

bebop Member

pay 1200.00 , sell it , for 750.00, maybe . Bill Gardner

8. bt18

bt18 TS Member

Love 31 TC's Have a few.I agree with Bill.Have been watching the very small market on them since the early 60's.They are not worth as much as a factory
    Model 12 trap.550.00 to 750.00,Just my humble 2 cents.I'll bet the gentleman has it for a while,at 1200.00,like a long while.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Bundy4, would you feel better if he had asked $1400 and taken $1200?

overthehill, I disagree on your assessment of relative strength of the inner workings of M12's and M31's. I own both guns and find the bolt uplock girded on both sides of the receiver in the M31 shows superior strength to the M12's single sided lock.

Buz

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Old Vic Reinners (spelling?) shot 750,000 rounds through his it is in the Hall of Fame with his record book of every shot. Dan Orlich shot one until Al Ljutic gave him the first Ljutic he made. I think I'll go shuck mine before I go to bed smooth as ball bearings and I have some model 12's also and they are both equal in quality in my eyes.

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I bought a 31TC which is about 95% for $550. $1200 is definitely high, but they are like 57 Chevys...if you gotta have one and it is mint (except for the original pad replacement), you pay the $1200 and don't look back. Just make darn sure it hasn't been reblued or made over...I have seen re-done Model 12s which really looked almost original, priced high, billed as 99%, but were not. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.